Honored Contributor

Re: Would you enjoy this meal?

For $600 I would personally not do it.  Most of the food grossed me out.  Some of the desserts looked good.  I have eaten at a 5 star hotel restaurant in a small luxury hotel in San Francisco and had a 6 course meal for free as I was the secretary to the president of the management co.  The food was excellent but I did pass on the squid appetizer.  

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

Good for the college student.

But, way to fancy for me. I'd probably choke on it......

Esteemed Contributor

I’ll pass!!

Esteemed Contributor

Id never pay that and I don't like spinach or clams. Id try the other fish. But to be honest Id rather have an Italian dinner. lol. But it was her choice and her money so more power to her.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@fordtruck wrote:

I don't think my stomach would allow me to keep down some of those sea creatures. I wonder if they taste fishy.  For $600 they better taste like steak.  Wouldn't try the antelope either and am curious from what State it was brought in and how it was kept fresh.  

Fresh raw fish does not taste "fishy"  as in kind of stinky. You should never accept fish that smells. Fresh ocean fish is briney and fresh tasting. Nothing like steak, thank God. 

I love Uni too. It's very seasonal. 

I'm a very adventurous eater. I'd be in heaven sampling small plates of unusual foods.

Me too!  I love all seafood, and yes, good seafood does not taste "fishy".

IMO this was not all about the food.  It was about the service, the presentation, the experience.  It's something she wanted to do, and she said she saved up for it.  I don't see anything wrong with that.  

(For those of you who have said she should give the money to charity:  How do you know she doesn't donate very generously to charities?  It's perfectly possible to be a giving and loving person, and also do things for yourself.)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry

Nope! For starters I am a frugal old man, that also happens to not eat meat/fish or fowl. For that money I could buy all the groceries I will probably need for the rest of my life.

Note: I eat very little each day!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Sure, I would try it.  Why not?

I am an adventurous eater.

I was thinking the exact same thing while reading through her comments--that I would definitely like to try some of the foods on that menu. I'm also an adventurous eater, too. Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

Oh course my husband and I would try and enjoy this meal. The portions are small for a reason...there are 22 courses! We love trying all types of foods and have had many of the foods listed on the menu in the article.  The chefs put in a great effort to match flavors of a particular dish. It is an art form, one which my husband and I enjoy immensely.  The price...meh, it is a once in a life time to try. Good for the young lady. She saved up her money for something she wanted to do. Nothing wrong with that.

Honored Contributor

The best word I could use to describe all this would be - YUCK.  I think it's fine if she wants to save her money to go out for outrageously expensive meals, but these items did not look or sound appealing in the least.  I mean, the small size of each item was not really bothersome as there were so many things, but the actual choices themselves --- as I said before -- YUCK. 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

If someone else was buying, heck ya.   Although that's a lot of food by the time you're done.  

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*