Honored Contributor

Here's an informative article from the Center for Military Readiness which gives information on the GRIM TOLL OF MILITARY WOMEN KILLED IN WAR

"145 Women Killed in War on Terror

Since the attack on America on September 11, 2001, a total of 145 women deployed to Afghanistan, Iraq and Kuwait have lost their lives in service to America.

Most Americans, and even members of the media, are not aware that 145 brave servicewomen have died in the War on Terrorism".

Shame on anyone belittling the service of our troops.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

Here's an informative article from the Center for Military Readiness which gives information on the GRIM TOLL OF MILITARY WOMEN KILLED IN WAR

"145 Women Killed in War on Terror

Since the attack on America on September 11, 2001, a total of 145 women deployed to Afghanistan, Iraq and Kuwait have lost their lives in service to America.

Most Americans, and even members of the media, are not aware that 145 brave servicewomen have died in the War on Terrorism".

Shame on anyone belittling the service of our troops.

No one is belittling the service of our troops.  

Honored Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

Women are so much more than their menstrual cycles.  No man in my family would ever use the expression "on the rag".  Talk about being stuck in the days of Donna Reed.

*eyeroll*

************  I understand that and I hesitated to type it but I decided to say it just like he did.  It is what he....and a lot of his buddies think and it is the word they use. That is not what I call it....but if you have ever lived around or on an Army barracks or been with a group of soldiers....it is a very common phrase.

By the way, what do you think women used in the "Little House On The Prarie Day's"?  I never heard it until I got married.  My mom would have been mortified and Dad never said it but DH does. "eyeroll"  What can I say.  Don't take it so seriously.  There are worse things in life!

*********  Cakers3.....I have thought about this a little more and am sorry if I offended you.  I have lived with DH for 46 yrs. and am just used to it.  I guess I should have realized not everyone is. 

{{{Jubilant}}}  I'm sorry it's just that if *I* or any other poster had used that term we would have been ripped to shreds.  We all know the history of the phrase; I clearly remember it being used in a derogatory manner.  Thank goodness most women today (and men) have grown enough not to use it. 

I appreciate your response to me.  And yes, there are many more RL issues to worry about.  All the best to you and your DH.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I haven't heard anyone talk about the nurses in previous wars.That strikes me as odd.  Maybe I missed it.  Why are we only recognizing those who do the fighting??????  These women saved lives!

I am not a history buff and I know people here know a lot more about the history of the military than I do.  Believe it or not some of us know at least some of these stories and of course we admire these woman and consider them "the brave" just as much as we do the male soldiers. My post was mostly about..... Are women up to the task physically?  I say the majority of them are not.  I know some of you think otherwise.  If these women are so good....why do they not send whole platoons of women off in one direction and the men in another and why aren't there more of them?  That might be the real test.  That just might be the better test.

Honored Contributor

@foundinlv wrote:

Jessica Lynch was a 19-year-old supply clerk with the 507th Maintenance Company,  She was injured and captured by Iraqi forces after her group made a wrong turn and was subsequently ambushed on March 23, 2003 near Nasiriyah, a major crossing point over the Euphrates River northwest of Basra. She was initially listed as missing in action (MIA). Eleven other soldiers in the company were killed in the ambush.  

she never fireOn April 24, 2007 she testified in front of Congress that d her weapon and was knocked unconscious when her vehicle crashed.  She woke up later in an Iraqi hospital.

She blamed the media and the military of lying for their own gain. She said during her testimony, "They should have found out the facts before they spread the word like wildfire."

Her weapon jammed.  That's why it wasn't fired.

Jessica is displaying the humility that all of our military displays; she was there is a role that was needed, regardless of the media/military spin on the story.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

I haven't heard anyone talk about the nurses in previous wars.That strikes me as odd.  Maybe I missed it.  Why are we only recognizing those who do the fighting??????  These women saved lives!

I am not a history buff and I know people here know a lot more about the history of the military than I do.  Believe it or not some of us know at least some of these stories and of course we admire these woman and consider them "the brave" just as much as we do the male soldiers. My post was mostly about..... Are women up to the task physically?  I say the majority of them are not.  I know some of you think otherwise.  If these women are so good....why do they not send whole platoons of women off in one direction and the men in another and why aren't there more of them?  That might be the real test.  That just might be the better test.

The Russians did that in WW2 with women combat flyers and women snipers.  They were outstanding in their success, so we already know it's possible.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

Women are so much more than their menstrual cycles.  No man in my family would ever use the expression "on the rag".  Talk about being stuck in the days of Donna Reed.

*eyeroll*

************  I understand that and I hesitated to type it but I decided to say it just like he did.  It is what he....and a lot of his buddies think and it is the word they use. That is not what I call it....but if you have ever lived around or on an Army barracks or been with a group of soldiers....it is a very common phrase.

By the way, what do you think women used in the "Little House On The Prarie Day's"?  I never heard it until I got married.  My mom would have been mortified and Dad never said it but DH does. "eyeroll"  What can I say.  Don't take it so seriously.  There are worse things in life!

*********  Cakers3.....I have thought about this a little more and am sorry if I offended you.  I have lived with DH for 46 yrs. and am just used to it.  I guess I should have realized not everyone is. 

{{{Jubilant}}}  I'm sorry it's just that if *I* or any other poster had used that term we would have been ripped to shreds.  We all know the history of the phrase; I clearly remember it being used in a derogatory manner.  Thank goodness most women today (and men) have grown enough not to use it. 

I appreciate your response to me.  And yes, there are many more RL issues to worry about.  All the best to you and your DH.

Thank you for that, Caters.  Believe when I say...the moderators are not all that partial to me.  I have gone "poof" more than several times.  Maybe they are just in shock!

Respected Contributor

Re: Women in combat

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 wrote:

@foundinlv wrote:

Jessica Lynch was a 19-year-old supply clerk with the 507th Maintenance Company,  She was injured and captured by Iraqi forces after her group made a wrong turn and was subsequently ambushed on March 23, 2003 near Nasiriyah, a major crossing point over the Euphrates River northwest of Basra. She was initially listed as missing in action (MIA). Eleven other soldiers in the company were killed in the ambush.  

she never fireOn April 24, 2007 she testified in front of Congress that d her weapon and was knocked unconscious when her vehicle crashed.  She woke up later in an Iraqi hospital.

She blamed the media and the military of lying for their own gain. She said during her testimony, "They should have found out the facts before they spread the word like wildfire."

Jessica is displaying the humility that all of our military displays; she was there is a role that was needed, regardless of the media/military spin on the story.

She never fired her weapon and was knocked unconscious when the vehicle crashed.  No mention of it jamming.  

http://www.jessica-lynch.com/

Honored Contributor

As the U.S. moves to open up combat positions to women, it's catching up with other countries that have been doing it for years.

The Caracal was formed in 2004 with the chief purpose of giving women a chance to serve in a true combat role. It's a coed combat battalion...

The battalion is 60 percent female and patrols Israel's border with Egypt's Sinai peninsula, a desolate stretch of high desert that has become a hot spot in recent years: In 2011, eight Israelis died in an attack launched from Sinai.

One question that crops up in the discussion about women is whether men will trust female soldiers with their lives. Prince's commander, Capt. Yaron Eyal, says he has gotten over any doubts he had.

"I really, really trust them ... to watch my back," he says, relying on Prince to help him find the right English expression.

Israel holds out the Caracal as proof that women can be all that they can be in the military. The Israel Defense Forces say that today, nearly 50 percent of Israel's lieutenants and captains are women.

npr

Honored Contributor

@foundinlv wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@foundinlv wrote:

She never fired her weapon and was knocked unconscious when the vehicle crashed.  No mention of it jamming.  

http://www.jessica-lynch.com/

What's your point?  Three men with her were killed in the same accident.  They never fired their weapon, either. 

Are you going to question their service, also?