Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Smaug wrote:

Since she's been mentioned in a mocking way I had to look up who Donna Reed is. 

Reed was an actress who appeared in over 40 films including It's a Wonderful Life. She received an Academy Award for her performance as Lorene Burke in From Here to Eternity. During the 1970s Donna Reed was a fervent anti-nuclear weapon and anti-war activist, co-chairing the protest organization "Another Mother for Peace."

In 1986, she lost her two-year bout with pancreatic cancer and she died in Beverly Hills, California, at the age of 64. Later that year, friends and family created The Donna Reed Foundation for the Performing Arts, which awards scholarships to young people studying the Arts.

Yeah, what a pathetic uninspiring woman she was. 

It isn't the RL Donna Reed - it was her show - the white bread mom in full rdress/pearls ala June Cleave style.  The dutiful wife who stood at the door handing out lunches to her family; and lived much of her life closeted by family duties and house chores.  She didn't have to work or juggle anything outside of the home; doctor hubby provided all she needed.  Nice home, nice kids, no minorities, and overall not quite the full realistic view of the 1950's.  After all, that life was not the norm for many, many people.

That is what folks mean - just as they do when they say June Cleaver.  It just happens that the Donna Reed Show has her real name in it.

But, for some women, that is what they wanted to do and many still do 

Respected Contributor

@StrayI already mentioned in the thread that the fictional character in the Donna Reed Show was Donna Stone. Donna Reed is a real person. It's like confusing The Cosby Show's Dr. Huxtable with Bill Cosby. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Esteemed Contributor

I have read all the comments.  I feel that if women pass all the tests and requirements without relaxation of standards and rules, they are fit to serve.  To compare us to other cultures is not valid because you are dealing with the mindset of American men and women.  Women are not as strong as men under all circumstances even though they may pass in a testing atmosphere; there is endurance and length of time.  As far as women competing with men in sports, it would depend on the position and in the theater of war, the outcome is much different.  I did hear two navy seals discussing the admission of females on TV.  They are not against it but felt that the wars of today are different In the sense that a  woman's fate at the hands of ISIS or the Talibon would be unthinkable to them.  Yes, men are raped as well but to our culture, the thoughts of what a woman could endure, is highly disturbing to these very strong navy seals and those feelings would prompt them to try and protect a woman more.  It is just how it is as Americans.  We are not accustomed to women putting themselves in the position where they would be abused, raped and tortured.  Most military men I have heard interviewed, highly respect women in the military and work side by side with them.  It is not a matter of machismo or feeling threatened, it is just being human and decent.  But, if women want to serve in an elite force and are qualified, so be it.  But, as a parent, I would not want my daughter to serve in the current military theater but of course, would never try to stop her.  But, I would not demean a seal who is against it because he is just a decent human being and as an American, was brought up to respect and protect us.