Esteemed Contributor
On 3/1/2014 Love my grandkids said:

It's easy to turn on the tears for a camera. Save your sympathy R&R for the kids who have a mother in prison or the VICTIMS of the crimes these women committed.

I strongly agree! I watched the program, too, today.....but having been a victim of crime, I don't feel at all sorry for people that choose to break the law! They deserve to be in jail --as they decide NOT to abide by the law.
Valued Contributor
I have worked with women alcoholics---some want help, some (a lot) are users--take advantage of people's kindness---I do feel it is important work nevertheless---
Esteemed Contributor

R & R--

You are a woman of faith.

People on this thread are telling you not to feel sympathy for drug addicts who hurt people, which is completely understandable, and--from the point of view of a non-Christian--not incorrect.

But...I think Jesus would have a different view on the subject...and I think that is worth considering.

Just food for thought.

I'm not a Christian person (I base my judgments on ethics rather than faith), but since you are a person of faith, it's worth thinking about what your faith would direct you to do, right?

And...to be perfectly honest...I don't think that listening to your heart is a flaw. If you feel sympathy for these women, you don't need to feel bad about that...but you may want to ask people who work in the prison system what you can do to help with this problem. There is a problem, and many people in prison are there because they are selfish. The question is, "what can I do to effect change?" It could be fellowship with prisoners, or it could be prevention...or perhaps it could be something else.

I don't know the answer, but I have a sneakin suspicion that you won't find the answer here.

Whatever you do, please go into it with your eyes open. Many prisoners would enjoy an opportunity to take advantage of your kindness...however, prison isn't merely a landfill either. If you want to help prisoners, let people who are experienced in dealing with prisoners guide you. Should you choose to mentor women in prison in some capacity, I strongly urge you to trust the opinions of people who are experienced in dealing with prisoners.

It may be best if you chose a role that is inspirational to women who would like to be inspired, but is in no way harmful to you. Perhaps you could organize a compilation of inspirational stories authored by people who have endured various hardships? Or maybe you could compile a concordance of Bible quotes that you feel would be helpful to encourage women who know they have done wrong but want to change.

There are many different ways to help people. I hope you will choose one that will bring about positive changes and won't put you in harm's way.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

mistriTsquirrel...I am a woman of the Christian faith. I think it is possible to feel badly for these women and hope they get the help that they so desperately need and still think that they need to reap what they sow. That is Biblical. Some of the things you mention to do for prisoners are very good ideas. A lot of us are just as sorry and more so for the victims....they need reached out to also.

Valued Contributor
On 3/2/2014 jubilant said:

mistriTsquirrel...I am a woman of the Christian faith. I think it is possible to feel badly for these women and hope they get the help that they so desperately need and still think that they need to reap what they sow. That is Biblical. Some of the things you mention to do for prisoners are very good ideas. A lot of us are just as sorry and more so for the victims....they need reached out to also.

Great post, Jubliant.
Honored Contributor
On 3/1/2014 happy housewife said: Having suffered the loss of my first husband to a junkie who robbed my husband and beat him to death with a baseball bat, i have absolutely no sympathy for any of them. They can and should rot in jail IMO - save your sympathy for those that were their victims.

What an awful experience. I think it is hard to rehabilitate addicts, and even after the taxpayers help to get them clean, so many fall back into their habits. No sympathy from me for their bad choices.

Super Contributor
On 3/2/2014 mistriTsquirrel said:

R & R--

You are a woman of faith.

People on this thread are telling you not to feel sympathy for drug addicts who hurt people, which is completely understandable, and--from the point of view of a non-Christian--not incorrect.

But...I think Jesus would have a different view on the subject...and I think that is worth considering.

Just food for thought.

I'm not a Christian person (I base my judgments on ethics rather than faith), but since you are a person of faith, it's worth thinking about what your faith would direct you to do, right?

And...to be perfectly honest...I don't think that listening to your heart is a flaw. If you feel sympathy for these women, you don't need to feel bad about that...but you may want to ask people who work in the prison system what you can do to help with this problem. There is a problem, and many people in prison are there because they are selfish. The question is, "what can I do to effect change?" It could be fellowship with prisoners, or it could be prevention...or perhaps it could be something else.

I don't know the answer, but I have a sneakin suspicion that you won't find the answer here.

Whatever you do, please go into it with your eyes open. Many prisoners would enjoy an opportunity to take advantage of your kindness...however, prison isn't merely a landfill either. If you want to help prisoners, let people who are experienced in dealing with prisoners guide you. Should you choose to mentor women in prison in some capacity, I strongly urge you to trust the opinions of people who are experienced in dealing with prisoners.

It may be best if you chose a role that is inspirational to women who would like to be inspired, but is in no way harmful to you. Perhaps you could organize a compilation of inspirational stories authored by people who have endured various hardships? Or maybe you could compile a concordance of Bible quotes that you feel would be helpful to encourage women who know they have done wrong but want to change.

There are many different ways to help people. I hope you will choose one that will bring about positive changes and won't put you in harm's way.

Hello MissT and thank you for your post. My cousin that lives about 4 1/2 hours from me is with a group of Christian ladies that visit women in jail.......it is fulfilling for her.......I may go with them sometime.......and I sure don't want to be in harms way and I can see where a person trying to help could get used and lied to........I don't know if this is the avenue that Y'shua/Jesus wants me to go but he will guide me. I do know that at a young age we don't wake up and say or feel "I want to be a bad person, or a robber or killer"........things happen in people's lives that make them do bad things.....,maybe they learned it from home or friends they did not need to be with........it is sad for them of the life they chose and for the victims for sure and of course family and children. Thank you for your post.

Honored Contributor

My advice for these women would be--conduct yourself in such a fashion that you will never need to go to prison.

Esteemed Contributor
On 3/1/2014 SydneyH said:

I only have the sympathy for the children that are left without a parent, many times those that are incarcerated had ample chances to clean up their act.

Ditto...My dds friend has a mom who has been on and off, mainly on drugs for the past 20 years. In and out of jail and rehab constantly. Has stolen from everybody close to her, cannot be trusted no matter what. Horrible excuse for a mother, the by the time her daughter graduated high school, her credit was ruined b/c of her mom using her ss#. That's really just the tip of the iceberg...

Esteemed Contributor

My dad goes to prisons with a group of other men as part of a ministry, and he has told me some of the stories told to him, and if they are true, they are indeed heartbreaking.

Rainbows, I guess each situation is different. Women in prison for drugs just hit a nerve with me, as my dd just took her friend to the ER Friday night when she was throwing up blood, her friend stayed with us after that b/c the dr said she didn't need to be alone, and we were happy to have her, but ya know, I would hate for my dd being anywhere but with me when she was that sick. And I have been told way too much about this young ladies childhood to be objective when it comes to this subject.