Respected Contributor

Re: Will You Be Watching - Miss USA

If I want to watch a bunch of women in bikinis and spiked heels I can go to the beach or a bar.

Contributor

I think it's important to note the origin of 'Miss America'. In 1920, women won the right to vote and were empowered to contribute to their fate. 1921 was the first Miss America contest, more vanity than empowerment. During WWI, women were again empowered by taking on important jobs in the workforce... 1945, Miss America had to up the ante by offering scholarships. It is STILL a beauty contest... nothing empowering about that.

Honored Contributor

On 6/9/2014 msmeerkat said:

I think it's important to note the origin of 'Miss America'. In 1920, women won the right to vote and were empowered to contribute to their fate. 1921 was the first Miss America contest, more vanity than empowerment. During WWI, women were again empowered by taking on important jobs in the workforce... 1945, Miss America had to up the ante by offering scholarships. It is STILL a beauty contest... nothing empowering about that.

This was Miss USA - always much more of a straight beauty contest, IMO.

Contributor

They're both the same is essence. And I don't think it's fair to women.

Honored Contributor

WW1 was from 1914 to 1918 -- and WW2 was 1941 to 1945 when Rosie the Riveter came into being.

This is America and people here are free to watch whatever entertainment they please. I find beauty pageants to be pretty dull entertainment myself , but for those who like them , fine, i can, and did, change the channel.

Respected Contributor

Uh, no. It's a stupid and cheesy competition.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

I didn't realize it was even on until I heard Guiliana's voice announcing it. I had been watching Dateline or 48 Hours prior, got up to let the dog out and came back to this pageant.

Didn't see any of the women so I don't know about their extensions but Guiliana's extensions looked ridiculous.

Contributor

On 6/9/2014 happy housewife said:

WW1 was from 1914 to 1918 -- and WW2 was 1941 to 1945 when Rosie the Riveter came into being.

This is America and people here are free to watch whatever entertainment they please. I find beauty pageants to be pretty dull entertainment myself , but for those who like them , fine, i can, and did, change the channel.

Thanks for noting my type..WWII. It is not a matter of 'freedom to watch'...it's a matter of what is valued in women. And that shallowness extends to the workplace, etc.

Respected Contributor

We watched some of it and then all the girls we had picked out got dropped so we watched a movie instead. Watched a little bit of the Tony's but it seemed boring too.

Esteemed Contributor

On 6/9/2014 RedConvertibleGirl said:

If I want to watch a bunch of women in bikinis and spiked heels I can go to the beach or a bar.

Or, just turn on the television to various stations and countries where they also have pageants. Reality shows and soap operas also have their hot tub scenes. Here a woman has choices and how she chooses and what she chooses is a liberty she has. I support that liberty.

As for a beauty (strictly beauty) contest, I thought we have learned by now that beauty comes from within. Loveliness (which is what the contestants have) is the physical. Females have that in their youth. It's not a mystery. I enjoyed seeing the drama in the gowns worn by the ladies.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust