Trusted Contributor

Why are SOME people so crazed about Ebola but seem not to care about measles? ***Thread closed for commenting***

This floors me. Now we've got a bunch of babies infected with measles in a daycare. It's so easily transmitted, it's going to get out-of-hand and fast if people don't get vaccinated.

We really need about 95% of the population vaccinated to have herd immunity (measles won't spread as rapidly thru the community) Thankfully most states are near that, unless you live in Oregon.

Why are SOME people so scared of Ebola, but measles seems to be a walk in the park?

Honored Contributor

Re: Why are SOME people so crazed about Ebola but seem not to care about measles?

I totally agree with you.

It's crazy.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

Re: Why are SOME people so crazed about Ebola but seem not to care about measles?

Now that some (incorrectly) are pinning the measles outbreak on illegals...interest will pick up!

Honored Contributor

Ebola belongs "over there"! Measles are coming from "them". We can control measles but people opt out. Well, that's fine except other countries don't have the option and now it's here from wherever it originated and we will have to deal with it. Which one/virus will be next?

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Valued Contributor

I don't get it either. Vaccinations to me were common place when I had my children. Now I was born in 1951 before some of these vaccinations were even available. But if you search the measles vaccination on Wikipedia it will show how many cases of measles there were in the decades prior to having the vaccination as opposed to the last few decades.

Also, I have a grandson who just turned one year old. He got his first vaccination. But prior to that he could not be administered the vaccination, yet could have been given measles by someone who was not vaccinated. Just go vaccinate your children. It's beyond me that in 2015 this is what we are having to work so hard at in the medical world.

Trusted Contributor

On 2/5/2015 Dell said:

I don't get it either. Vaccinations to me were common place when I had my children. Now I was born in 1951 before some of these vaccinations were even available. But if you search the measles vaccination on Wikipedia it will show how many cases of measles there were in the decades prior to having the vaccination as opposed to the last few decades.

Also, I have a grandson who just turned one year old. He got his first vaccination. But prior to that he could not be administered the vaccination, yet could have been given measles by someone who was not vaccinated. Just go vaccinate your children. It's beyond me that in 2015 this is what we are having to work so hard at in the medical world.

You've exactly stated why herd immunity (at least 95% of the population vaccinated) is so important. Otherwise we're going to see many more babies and people with compromised immune systems getting measles. I mean it's SO easily transmitted compared to something like Ebola. Yet if there was an Ebola vaccine and not everyone got it, so many would be angry.

Trusted Contributor

Wait til a vaccine against ebola comes. They opposers will be against it too.

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Trusted Contributor

On 2/5/2015 MrsSweetieBear said:

Wait til a vaccine against ebola comes. They opposers will be against it too.

YIKES, I hope not.

I think it's because people have seen first hand the ravages of ebola on those afflicted.

Once people see babies infected by the thousands and some left with neurological damage after measles, hopefully their attitude will change.

Honored Contributor

Deb, you may have hit on something...

They were afraid they could get Ebola, but most likely they are the generation that already got measles so they don't care about anyone else.

BTW, I am also one that had measles. And mumps, and rubella and chickenpox. And am thrilled there are now vaccinations to prevent those deadly diseases.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

Beats me why this is up for discussion. Vaccinate your child for his protection and for the community as a whole.