Honored Contributor

Re: Who's had mini-splits installed?

@gertrudecloset 

I hired a professional energy auditor and had my home analyzed for energy savings. I found out that windows are where 30% or more of heat is transferred through them either in or out. Window replacement and attic insulation are two of the most energy-saving things you can do to a house.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@gertrudecloset 

I hired a professional energy auditor and had my home analyzed for energy savings. I found out that windows are where 30% or more of heat is transferred through them either in or out. Window replacement and attic insulation are two of the most energy-saving things you can do to a house.

@SilleeMee  you are so right.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Magicrat wrote:

By the way, forgot to say it is much less expensive to run one as opposed to a room heater or air conditioner.

We have the ductless system, a Daikin.  This summer it ran for 3 months, 24/7 and our total electric bill for those 3 months was $150.  It costs almost nothing to run it.  

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@gertrudecloset 

@SilleeMee So did I.  But I had already purchased those vinyl windows.  It takes a lot of years to realize the cost savings from new windows.  The investment and savings is not realized immediately.  Maybe in twenty years you get back what you put in from windows.

I've done a lot of research on it because of windows I did replace and I am sorry I did it.  I have to put caulk and that foam around those vinyl windows now to keep the air from bursting through.  My wood windows don't have that problem.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

@winter girlHad them installed primarily for air conditioning in the Summer.  Well worth the price of admission for that alone.  Also using them as auxiliary heat to supplement our propane heaters.  Do a great job.

Honored Contributor

We added a back  sunroom at our last house.

Could only get one vent to heat/cool and it wasn't enuf.

The room was too large.

We also got a Mitsubishi mini split and it was great. 

Warm enuf, cool enough, however, electric costs are VERY expensive in our area....

Natural gas is WAY cheaper, but we couldn't get duct work in there.

It was worth it though.... now  it was a year round room.

Contributor

I had one installed in a year-round room that was added to the back of my house. The extended ducts from the main HVAC system just couldn't do the job well enough on their own. I mostly just run the mini-split in warm weather to supplement the AC. In the winter the room stays warm enough because of sun exposure. It's been worth every penny.

Honored Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

I live in cold climate and have never heard of them. 

@scatcat From what I saw it sounds like a heat pump to me.  We had one of those and never never again.  At least where we live. 

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@shoesnbags They are heating and air conditioning units (large unit outside) small unit on the wall in the house.

I think they are typically used where you need additional heat and air in homes (like ours) that do not have a furnace.  

We looked into these units many years ago, they were quite expensive and the way our upstairs was laid out we would need at least 3 wall units upstairs.  

We have a traditional wall unit aircondiioner that cools our family room and living area, so until that dies we will just use that.   We also have a window unit in our master bedroom.

@Mom2Dogs 

thanks.....did not know what they were called!

we actually have one in our sunroom that we use all four seasons.

we installed it because it was quite warm in there during the summer months. the regular central a/c vent from the attached family room was not enough to cool off both rooms.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@scatcat wrote:

I live in cold climate and have never heard of them. 

@scatcat From what I saw it sounds like a heat pump to me.  We had one of those and never never again.  At least where we live. 

I don't think it's a traditional heat pump—not from the descriptions given in the thread. We have one (a heat pump) and it works well for us.