Respected Contributor

Re: Who Is In Need Of A Cause?

On 1/19/2014 Opurrra said:

When you take someone like Scott Peterson who murdered his wife and unborn son and put weights on her legs and arms and threw her into the bay, all so that he could carry on an affair with his mistress, to me that was a cold blooded, calculated murder. Nothing to do with delusions.

Absolutely.

Super Contributor

On 1/19/2014 adelle38 said:
On 1/19/2014 Opurrra said:

When you take someone like Scott Peterson who murdered his wife and unborn son and put weights on her legs and arms and threw her into the bay, all so that he could carry on an affair with his mistress, to me that was a cold blooded, calculated murder. Nothing to do with delusions.

No one is saying that Scott Person is mentally ill. There are mentally ill people in this country who may or may not be violent and we need to provide the resources to help them.

I'm referring to Free2Be's post about evil vs. mental illness.

I think there was an element of evil in his actions.

Respected Contributor

Scott Peterson was disordered to say the least but he wasn't mentally ill in the way mental illness is defined.

The other woman had delusions that she needed to perform exorcisms on her children. That is delusional. That is mental illness.

Honored Contributor

The Scott Petersons kill people with a reason, they've gotten between him and what he wants. While it's unjustified, the person put themselves in jeopardy by involving themselves with the Petersons of the world and could have made other choices.

The people who have been killed at random by the mentally ill had no way of anticipating or protecting themselves. They didn't have a choice to make. Society can and should protect them.

Psychiatrists who have allowed the release of those who they deem as no danger to themselves and others should be held accountable for their mistakes.

Honored Contributor

On 1/19/2014 Animal Lover said:

How is murdering your children not be tended to?

Did these people not have insurance?

Spit it out.

seriously, you can't figure this out?
Trusted Contributor

On 1/20/2014 occasional rain said:

The Scott Petersons kill people with a reason, they've gotten between him and what he wants. While it's unjustified, the person put themselves in jeopardy by involving themselves with the Petersons of the world and could have made other choices.

The people who have been killed at random by the mentally ill had no way of anticipating or protecting themselves. They didn't have a choice to make. Society can and should protect them.

Psychiatrists who have allowed the release of those who they deem as no danger to themselves and others should be held accountable for their mistakes.

Psychiatrists don't have a lot of options. Often a patient is not a danger if he is on meds. Once they are out of the hospital, they can't be forced to take med. It's almost impossible to keep a psychiatric patient in a hospital because of laws and lack of facilities. Those options need to be addressed.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Honored Contributor

Another wife and kids killed this weekend in NYC by husband/father who has had mental problem for awhile. So tragic!!!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson