Esteemed Contributor

Re: What is on your Thanksgiving menu?

Turkey, potato filling, veggies, salad bar, appetizers, bread and pumpkin pie all for $10.99 each. Not cooking, my husband and I go out to eat, and I love it! No work for me, and no leftovers! lol. Plus we will go to a movie! Cant wait!

(My kids from my 1st marriage go to their dads family for dinner, along with my grandkids of course!).

Later Thanksgiving evening, my grandkids are dropped off here to stay over night, while my kids etc shop all night and black Friday! Its a yearly tradition!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

Doing something new this year and DH is cooking it! Crown of lamb.

Respected Contributor

@Daisy wrote:

@jonbon wrote:

Actually, I'm the only one in my family who absolutely LOVES Thanksgiving food; the rest can take it or leave it, and my kids only eat a few of the things we have. I, however, look forward to it all year and eat the leftovers twice a day for several days afterward. Smiley Happy

Why don't you make a few more things that your kids like so they can enjoy the meal, too?

My son is happy with turkey, mashed potatoes, and gravy; I also give him fresh fruit, which is not part of the "official menu," to round out his meal a bit. (When he was younger, and only ate the turkey, I added a roll so he could make a sandwich and some fresh fruit; when he was even younger and didn't eat much turkey, I think I added buttered noodles and fruit for him.) My daughter likes more of the food, but she chooses to focus on a few favorites. They also both eat dessert. There's plenty of food, and they enjoy what they have, but it is not the food highlight of the year for them (as it is for me). Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

We're keeping things light this year because the family will be munching all through the Green Bay Packer game later in the evening. I'm making hot turkey sandwiches, cheesy hashbrowns and corn. The rest of the family will bring salads and pies to complete our meal.
Respected Contributor

BIG turkey...24 pounds

Stuffing

Mashed potatoes & gravy

Green Bean Casserole

Cranberries

Sweet Potatoes

Pumpkin and Pecan Pies

Classic and well-loved meal!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Super Contributor

It's just the 3 of us, so on Thanksgiving we are having a Spiral Ham with pineapple chunks, along with Scalloped Potatoes, Green Bean Casserole, Kings Hawaiian Rolls, and Sweet Potato Pie with whipped cream for dessert. Friday will be a rotisserie Turkey Breast (courtesy of Martins -sister chain stores are Giant and Stop & Shop) - Pepperidge Farm Stuffing, Mashed Potatoes, Organic Cranberry Sauce, Turkey Gravy, and Pecan Pie for dessert, with Vanilla Ice Cream ...It took DH a good week to figure out My Menu, and the Leftovers will be plentiful throughout the Weekend. Our DS will eat anything in the fridge, so the leftovers will be gone by Sunday. Smiley Very Happy
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

Sorry if there is already a thread on this but I didn't see one so I decided to start one.

What is everyone making for Thanksgiving? I am having some family and friends come in from out of town starting on Tuesday but I am doing very little cooking this year. Everyone who is coming over or staying at my house is contributing. I just don't have the energy this year. I am doing the turkey (which is so easy) and I will start brining it on Tuesday night. I generally use Alton Browns brine with a few small adjustments. Other than that I am making the stuffing, roasted brussel sprouts (my favorite) mashed potatoes and besides pumpkin pie just a few other desserts.

We are just having it at my house, not going anywhere. I do like to eat out on other holidays but Thanksgiving, I don't know, I just like to be home. Maybe I will feel differently in a few years. Today I started making a few different compound butters. One with sage and thyme and one with honey, sage and parsley. I think that goes well with rolls if they choose not to use regular butter. I set out the Irish butter for those that chose not to go with the flavored butters. I made them into logs and put them into the freezer. I will pull them out on Wednesday. They are pretty easy to make and an easy way to add flavor.

So where is everyone going, who are you spending it with and what are you making? Inquiring minds want to know!!! I sincerely hope that each and everyone of you has a happy and peaceful Thanksgiving! 

I laughed when I read your post.  So, you're not doing much this Thanksgiving?  Seems to me you will be working hard.  That's a lot to me.  Woman Happy

Happy Thanksgiving!  

@SunshineKate, lol! I guess it does sound like a lot but compared to years before it doesn't seem so bad. Usually I am making most of the sides and most of the desserts.

Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

I haven't been back in a couple of days, it is nice to see the thread remained!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:
Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, brussels sprouts, corn pudding, cranberries, pecan pie and pumpkin cheese cake.

@Lila Belle, I had a corn pudding years ago that I loved and tried to recreate but with no success. Would you mind sharing your recipe if it isn't a secret, I would love to try it! Thanks!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:
Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, brussels sprouts, corn pudding, cranberries, pecan pie and pumpkin cheese cake.

@Lila Belle, I had a corn pudding years ago that I loved and tried to recreate but with no success. Would you mind sharing your recipe if it isn't a secret, I would love to try it! Thanks!

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````

This comes from my gram's Ft. Bragg OWC 1960's cookbook:

2 c. corn, fresh or canned ( I like canned summer crisp-DelMonte)

1 c. (condensed  or not ) milk

2 eggs beaten into the milk

1 tsp salt

1 tsp sugar

2 tbsp butter

Combine all in buttered casserole, bake at 350 until knife comes out clean, about 45 minutes

Esteemed Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````

This comes from my gram's Ft. Bragg OWC 1960's cookbook:

2 c. corn, fresh or canned ( I like canned summer crisp-DelMonte)

1 c. (condensed  or not ) milk

2 eggs beaten into the milk

1 tsp salt

1 tsp sugar

2 tbsp butter

Combine all in buttered casserole, bake at 350 until knife comes out clean, about 45 minutes

Thank you very much!

JFK