Valued Contributor

Re: What do you consider middle age now?

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Xivambala wrote:

40 is the new 30, 50 is the new 40, and 60 is the new 50....So my answer is 55 to 60.

I will add that there are some people who are 45 and appear to be in there 80's. It seems to have a lot to do with how well one takes care of themselves.

@Xivambala   

Well, that seems a bit high for the "middle age" since most people don't live to 110 to 120.   

@qualitygal 

OP, I think middle age is a range of years, just like childhood or old age.  It's not a single number.

@Tinkrbl44: You are referring to chronological age; the years we have lived on the planet. There are other factors involved in aging such as fitness, adaptability, general health, mental health, etc. To me, it's silly to multiply ones physical age by 2, and see where you fall on a scale of 1 to 100 to determine "middle-age".

Honored Contributor

Respected Contributor

The human body is designed to live 120 years.  Our genetics or bad choices make this seem unlikely.

Honored Contributor

My doctor referred to me as “ elderly “ when I was 51 so who knows? Age is in the eye and mind of the beholder.
Trusted Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
My doctor referred to me as “ elderly “ when I was 51 so who knows? Age is in the eye and mind of the beholder.

Oooooo, that would have upset me.  I met my doctor 20 years ago and he was a looker, thin and trim and so very handsome.  But now he has let himself go and it is very sad. I think his wife started seeing other men as she too was extremely attractive and men couldn't keep their hands off of her.  Also, I think his job has gotten to him with lots of deaths (before covid) and so getting to the point....I now see him as elderly, painful as that is.....and what about me.....still a spring chicken, haha. 

Honored Contributor

@seaBreeze wrote:

The human body is designed to live 120 years.  Our genetics or bad choices make this seem unlikely.

@seaBreeze wrote:

Really? Is this a medical statistic?

Honored Contributor

I'm 67 and my brain thinks I'm 30.  Plowing 7" of very heavy wet snow this weekend told me I'm older than 30.

Honored Contributor

I would say --- 45.  It feels like a million years ago that I was 45!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

To me, it's the decade you're in your 40's.  

I remember once when I was a teenager, I referred to a person who was in his 30's as being middle aged.  Big mistake!!   I got such a lecture!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I think 50.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.