Honored Contributor

Re: What Is A Karen?

[ Edited ]

On Twitter where it's used a lot, "Karen" is a "b*****, entitled, white adult female. 

However, it's used mostly by men who have had unsatisfactory relationships with girlfriends or are divorced.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

I found out about "Karens" from reading Reddit several months ago. Why that name was picked? I have no idea.

It originated from the movie "Mean Girls." Karen was one of the plastics. 

I just read a Wikipedia entry that said it started with a reddit poster who was in the midst of a divorce from Karen.

Honored Contributor

@Linmo wrote:

@Nancy Drew   Googled it - I didn't know either.  "Karen is a mocking slang term for an entitled, obnoxious, middle-aged white woman."

Wow, I actually knew that Karen.

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

I found out about "Karens" from reading Reddit several months ago. Why that name was picked? I have no idea.

It originated from the movie "Mean Girls." Karen was one of the plastics. 

I just read a Wikipedia entry that said it started with a reddit poster who was in the midst of a divorce from Karen.

I have read both ...but the movie is more than ten years old and this "Karen" thing is suddenly very popular....I think it's weird how stuff like this takes off.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tansy 

There are several references to where if started. Another is that it started from a comedy routine done in 2007 where the guy had a bit called something like Friends You Never Want to Have or something similar. Sorry I can't recall the exact title but that gives the general idea. 

Eta ~ Just looked it up, it's by Dane Cook and called "The Friend Nobody Likes." It's all about Karen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_kg0W3AeIU

If it helps at all Brian isn't exactly beloved either, lol. 

Honored Contributor

*Wondering if I should say "Bye Felicia" in regard to this thread?* Woman Happy

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@Nancy Drew  So interesting that you posted this! DH and I had to look it up last night in regards to the lady with the dog calling 911 on a birder in a NY park who asked her to leash her dog. My DD's Mother in Law and my DIL's Mother are both named Karen, and they are the sweetest people on the planet!

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple @Was Karen the plady who called 911 when a family was cooking food in a park.

Super Contributor

I have met women of all colors that fit the description, not just white. 

Respected Contributor

It's pretty pathetic that there is so much bad mannered behavior that it required the label of Karen to give it an identity.  I always thought Karen was simply the owner of cranky cats in memes.