Esteemed Contributor

Re: Watch your packages from ups carefully....

On 11/1/2014 kittymomNC said:

That sounds like a real mess... I hope you get it straightened out.

My UPS packages are always delivered in the late afternoon or early evening, and the UPS man rings my doorbell and leaves them on my porch. I live in a very safe neighborhood where we've never had any crime, and I'm usually at home at that time so I can just go out and pick them up. (Although there are some people on occasion walking through that I don't know.) I was watching for the two packages with the Christmas decorations I had ordered, and it showed they had shipped on the 28th. They usually take two days to arrive. It was around 9:00 pm when I checked the order status to see if they would probably be delivered the next day (which would have been 2 days), and it said they had already been delivered, in only one day! And sure enough, there they were on my porch!

Apparently it must have been a different delivery person, because I don't understand why, if my car was in the carport and lights were on in the house, why he would not at least have rung the doorbell?

Thankfully, I probably won't order anything else during the holiday season, so I won't be worried if they could get stolen. It was raining that evening and night, and if they had stayed where he put them on my porch they could have gotten very wet from blowing rain, and one box had the set of 3 owls. I don't think I would have wanted poor little wet owls! {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

That reminds me of something I posted here a year or so ago.

A friend of mine had some expensive, perishable food delivered to her by UPS. She didn't know it was coming (it was a gift, if I remember correctly), and she wasn't feeling well, so she didn't go outside until the next day. And everything in the box was spoiled.

This was in the summer, in hot weather, and the box had numerous "Perishable!", "Refrigerate Immediately" stickers all over it. Yet the delivery person never rang her doorbell. When we called UPS, we were told that there was no signature required and in that case the delivery person doesn't have to ring the bell. They can just drop the package & go.

So I guess rules are rules, but it bothers me to this day that - as one human being to another - he/she couldn't have taken less than one second to ring a doorbell just to alert whoever may happen to be inside. All that money down the drain, not to mention the disappointment.

Personally, I've had far better luck with USPS than with UPS.

Kiss

Esteemed Contributor

One of the neighbors had a security camera that caught a thief in the act. The police warned us about people following UPS trucks and then stealing the packages after they dropped them off.

Trusted Contributor

I CANT BELIEVE PEOPLE WOULD DO THAT HORRIBLE.....

Esteemed Contributor

Believe it... it happens ... I always watch out for my packages and I always keep track of my packages by the tracking numbers.

Respected Contributor

I notice around the holidays that the UPS drivers are not the usual ones I get because they hire extras and they never ring the doorbell. They are in such a hurry they practically throw the boxes on the porch and run off. I don't order like I use to but you do get your packages faster that last week.

Respected Contributor

On 11/1/2014 lldaisy said:

Hi all, I am still very upset, like I said i am picking up my packages from the ups center now from now on. i can't get over the feeling my house might be watched for delivery's. i do have new neighbors on one side who are not very sociable, and they are home a lot. Oh well, I will probably never know what happened, but I do feel bad. On the plus side they are only things, and I have 3 happy healthy dogs who mean the world to me.

I'm sorry to hear this about your packages, I'd be upset too. What I want to add is, as the mom to three precious dogs too, please don't let them be out without you unless they are really big. People can take them too, believe it or not. The world is full of bad people.

Take care.

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Honored Contributor

UPS does use temps during the holiday but it's much, much to early for that. We both work and I'm not the trusting type. I don't want my packages sitting around just waiting for someone to walk off with them. I use USPS delivery whenever I can, they don't just leave them, they take them back to the post office and I pick them up on Saturday. Better safe than sorry. One great thing this year is that our condo put in larger mail boxes. Smaller and mid sized packages (like my jewelry) and clothing fit in the mail box now. I love them for that!
Honored Contributor

On 11/2/2014 cottonball said:

One of the neighbors had a security camera that caught a thief in the act. The police warned us about people following UPS trucks and then stealing the packages after they dropped them off.

</ Yup....been going on for years. All the tv stations run stories about it every single year. You hear more about during the Christmas season but it happens throughout the year.

Honored Contributor

We saw a substitute delivery person (don't recall which company, etc.) throw down a package, knock down a ceramic planter, a quick bell ring as he was running down someone's steps. The planter wasn't broken, as far as we could see.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

They should 'train' substitutes, no matter which company/postal whatever, etc.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).