Honored Contributor

Re: Wallpaper.....does anyone still have it in their home?

I always loved wallpaper.  I think it adds a warmth to a room, but now there are only three rooms left with it, and when we remove it, it won't be replaced.

Honored Contributor

As others have mentioned, wallpaper is making a come back.

We bought this house 23 years ago and took a whole month to completely paint, paper, carpet and clean the entire house before moving in.

We used paper in the guest bath, and it still looks like brand new, and even after all these years, I like the look in there.

We papered the master bed and bath and I love that paper even more now than the day we had it hung. It is still in great shape too.

We chose to remove the wallpaper in the hallway that was here when we bought, it was dirty, ugly, dark, and patched in some horrible self done ways. Light paint brightened the space.

The other two bedrooms got paint with just a border ( I know people hate borders, but this house is a complete bore, square doorways, very thin baseboards, just no character whatsoever, so borders were an easy way to warm the spaces in those rooms a bit) and both still have a border, and I still like them in those rooms.

The only nightmare in papering I've ever really had (and this is my second house that I did some papering in) was in our kitchen and dining. I had it professionally hung, but it must have been cheap paper, as it has needed fixing at the seams many times over the years. It really looks bad these days, and I want to remove it. Problem is, the rooms are 'open concept' like in that part of the house, and it should all be done. I want to switch to paint, but the kitchen is in need of a complete re do. Cabinets are a mess, counters are so dated and big seams in them. I just hesitate to do any single thing, because it all needs done, and I can't afford to do it. 

I am considering pulling off just the dining area, and painting it this summer, and see if I can make it any better in the short term, than it is right now anyway. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are and always have been many beautiful papers out there. I think the problem comes when people don't take heed of the paper first before decorating the rest of the room. 

Paint is very boring in many applications. Like mentioned earlier, some houses lace any kind of character in their architecture and finishing. Paper can really warm that up and make a place much richer and more sophisticated than it's actual design. 

One just must then choose other decor to compliment the paper and not compete with it. 

My experiences have been that in general, our papered rooms last longer than paint, look warmer than paint and stay fresh looking longer than paint. And I really hate to paint or paper, so if it will look better, for a longer time, I'm for it!

I prefer to mix paint and paper in a home, not all of one or the other. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohiowrote:

We bought this house 23 years ago and took a whole month to completely paint, paper, carpet and clean the entire house before moving in.

We used paper in the guest bath, and it still looks like brand new, and even after all these years, I like the look in there.

We papered the master bed and bath and I love that paper even more now than the day we had it hung. It is still in great shape too.

We chose to remove the wallpaper in the hallway that was here when we bought, it was dirty, ugly, dark, and patched in some horrible self done ways. Light paint brightened the space.

The other two bedrooms got paint with just a border ( I know people hate borders, but this house is a complete bore, square doorways, very thin baseboards, just no character whatsoever, so borders were an easy way to warm the spaces in those rooms a bit) and both still have a border, and I still like them in those rooms.

The only nightmare in papering I've ever really had (and this is my second house that I did some papering in) was in our kitchen and dining. I had it professionally hung, but it must have been cheap paper, as it has needed fixing at the seams many times over the years. It really looks bad these days, and I want to remove it. Problem is, the rooms are 'open concept' like in that part of the house, and it should all be done. I want to switch to paint, but the kitchen is in need of a complete re do. Cabinets are a mess, counters are so dated and big seams in them. I just hesitate to do any single thing, because it all needs done, and I can't afford to do it. 

I am considering pulling off just the dining area, and painting it this summer, and see if I can make it any better in the short term, than it is right now anyway. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are and always have been many beautiful papers out there. I think the problem comes when people don't take heed of the paper first before decorating the rest of the room. 

Paint is very boring in many applications. Like mentioned earlier, some houses lace any kind of character in their architecture and finishing. Paper can really warm that up and make a place much richer and more sophisticated than it's actual design. 

One just must then choose other decor to compliment the paper and not compete with it. 

My experiences have been that in general, our papered rooms last longer than paint, look warmer than paint and stay fresh looking longer than paint. And I really hate to paint or paper, so if it will look better, for a longer time, I'm for it!

@Mominohio  In our previous home, we added chair railing in the dnining room, and papered above it, but even without wallpaper, the chair railing adds character and dimension to a room.

If I knew I would stay in this house until I move on permanently, I might wallpaper the bedrooms, but there is a lot of art hung on the walls here, so that takes the place of wallpaper.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirlwrote:

@Mominohiowrote:

@Mominohio  In our previous home, we added dhair railing in the dnining room, and papered above it, but even without wallpaper, the chair railing adds character and dimension to a room.

If I knew I would stay in this house until I move on permanently, I might wallpaper the bedrooms, but there is a lot of art hung on the walls here, so that takes the place of wallpaper.

@mousiegirl

I love a chair rail in a dining room. 

Unfortunately ours has so many doors and doorways and large furniture pieces, one would never see it if I did that. It is a really small room with very little wall space.

And that is another reason I like some wallpaper. I don't feel the need to fill the walls with as much stuff, the paper becomes enough in many areas. 

Respected Contributor

My whole house is wallpaper except for a bathroom that we recently redid. I don’t like the paint. It is a nice color but it seems cold to me. Also the walls are bumpy in places. We live in an old fashioned cape. Actually I am old fashioned too.

Honored Contributor

I have a cute wallpaper border in my hallway, the boarder is cute beachy vignettes and the hallway is full of beach memorabilia and beach things

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

We had the "supernatural" wallpaper in our home when we bought it. It was nightmarish to remove. One small foyer wall we repapered because we wrecked the wall getting it off. Its just a plain off white textured paper. If I could be sure of easy off I might try wallpaper,some is so pretty and cozy.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

17 years ago bought this house. Wallpaper in the kitchen--behind the fridge and 2 walls behind the kitchen table. it will stay there til I die.

Frequent Contributor

I love wallpaper!   And at the price tag of $180.00 per single roll it is definitely not our grandmother's wallpaper.   

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I really love fine wallpaper. We have Brunschdwig & Fils in our bathrooms. It’s gorgeous. Our master bedroom has grasscloth which coordinates with the master bath.