Respected Contributor

Re: WHAT'S YOUR TRAFFIC RANT?

OK, I haven't seen this one yet, but it's a BIG problem where I live in the busy burbs of Cleveland.  There are two MAJOR intersections that I go through on a regular basis.  Each of them has two left turn lanes which are crossing in front of me while I'm waiting for the light to turn green on my side.  Mind you, they have a MUCH longer green arrow than my side has the green light for going straight through the intersection, yet they continue through the intersection long after it has turned green on my side.

By the time we can proceed through the intersection, we're lucky if the first 3 or 4 cars make it through before the light changes again.  The same thing happens when the light changes for me to enter the main road from my condo.  You can count the cars whizzing past you after your light has turned green.  NO one around here cares what color the lights are!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

Inexperienced drivers in very large vehicles.  I saw a couple of spin outs recently on icy, unsanded roads.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

Drivers who pass me, then cut directly in front of me to get off at the same exit as me.   

Or drivers who pass you, or make you change to a slower lane, and then proceed to drive slower than you were driving - so they cut in front and you have to slow down, or you move over and they're doing slower than you were in the fast lane - and despite the clear ire of drivers behind them, yhey won't budge.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

I do a lot of driving in NYC so it runs the gambit. I drive defensively and my DD and SO think I was a cabby in a previous life. 

That being said.. driving where I live is what gets me. I live in the suburbs of NJ almost rural and the drivers out here are enough to make you want to park your car and walk. I am amazed on a daily basis by the arrogance and oblivious manner in which people drive. If they are not trying to run you off the road because they are on their phones they are driving as if nobody has anywhere to be. 

My town is also a very popular place to go for a leisurely bike ride again no observance of traffic laws given. They will ride 2 to 3 abreast and scream out you if you get near them. Mind you the choice of a head on or being stuck by these bike clubs is a daily toss up once the weather gets nice. Our town has designated bike lanes all over it, not that these bikers use them. Why bother when they can ride the middle of the road.

We sounds like neighbors- the roads in Somerset Cty are exactly the same!

Respected Contributor

Down here, it's people who don't use turn signals, especially when changing lanes. You have to be a very alert and defensive driver for sure. I'm glad DH does all the driving for me.

Honored Contributor

Music is not going to kill me or anybody else.  People texting or talking on cell phones are!

Respected Contributor

Drivers who don't brush the snow off their vechicles.  Either they can't see out their back window, or their car is a snowball driving down the road with snow blowing off, into MY car.  Very dangerous and very thoughtless.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Peaches McPhee wrote:

Drivers who don't brush the snow off their vechicles.  Either they can't see out their back window, or their car is a snowball driving down the road with snow blowing off, into MY car.  Very dangerous and very thoughtless.

Ooh, another good one!  There should be tickets issued for this, but I realize that there are a lot more important thing for LE to deal with on winter days.

We always used to get a LOT of snow and there were few things more irksome than some idiot who would just brush the snow from their windshield and that was it - or, even worse, the ones who would brush off just the piece of the windshield in front of the driver's seat.  What the heck?

Then they take off and if you are so unfortunate to find yourself behind them, all that snow from the top of their car, the back, and the hood comes blowing onto your windshield and you can't see anything.   Thoughtless uncivilized, to say the least!  argh!     Dangerous for sure.

Honored Contributor

Red light cameras that are essentially a money grab for the municipality where you live in the interest of 'traffic safety'.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

Cell phones, cell phones!  Much of the worst driving involves people on their phones.  Arizona (where I live) seems to be much worse than CA, which at least has frequent posted signs on the freeways reminding drivers of the (several hundred dollar) fine for texting while driving.