Super Contributor
I volunteer at a few different organizations. I never feel a need to tells others what I do. It's as real as my full-time paying job and just as rewarding.
Valued Contributor
I was a candy striped, a community volunteer, Cub Scout den mother, brownie leader, actor in a troupe of children's theater, a puppeteer for challenged kids of all different kinds, a zoo docent, I've taught poetry writing to grade schoolers, worked with women with addictions-------I don't remember what else-----I believe my volunteer is service to others in whatever expertise I might have---span of 60+ years---I'm kind of retired until the next project appears
Respected Contributor

Having been retired now a number of years, I do a great deal of volunteer work, especially with OLLI (Osher Lifelong Learning Institute): I teach classes, lead two interest groups (one is choral singing--we practice twice a month and sing in various senior centers and nursing homes in the community), and am also secretary for a couple OLLI committees.

I also am part of a performing duo that does programs for senior citizens, and am active with my local Friends of the Library organization.

Valued Contributor

I've been a volunteer at Planned Parenthood for 25 years, maybe longer. I've done pretty much everything from stuffing envelopes to serving on the Board of Directors. I enjoy doing fund raising and events the most. Working with patients as a hand holder is also very satisfying. When I was a bit younger I spent most Saturdays helping patients into the building. I can't do that anymore due to foot issues, and I don't miss standing out in the cold for a 4 hour shift!

This has been a labor of love for a cause I feel strongly about, and I look forward to each new challenge. I have tried out a number of volunteer opportunities over the years. If I don't find a few friends who become friends outside of the volunteering, I move to another group and try it out.

Valued Contributor
I was involved in politics at one time---I was a JL volunteer for 22 years
Esteemed Contributor
On 7/6/2014 Libbylady said:

I've been a volunteer at Planned Parenthood for 25 years, maybe longer. I've done pretty much everything from stuffing envelopes to serving on the Board of Directors. I enjoy doing fund raising and events the most. Working with patients as a hand holder is also very satisfying. When I was a bit younger I spent most Saturdays helping patients into the building. I can't do that anymore due to foot issues, and I don't miss standing out in the cold for a 4 hour shift!

This has been a labor of love for a cause I feel strongly about, and I look forward to each new challenge. I have tried out a number of volunteer opportunities over the years. If I don't find a few friends who become friends outside of the volunteering, I move to another group and try it out.

Thank you !

Respected Contributor
On 7/6/2014 Lila Belle said:
On 7/6/2014 Libbylady said:

Thank you !

Thanks from me, too. I am a long time donor. Smiley Happy

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Esteemed Contributor

I have been involved with other military spouses on the various issues that families encounter on the 5 posts where we have been assigned. I 've also fostered pets ( fish, an iguana, cats, dogs ) while their owners have been deployed, in hospital or deceased.

Super Contributor
On 7/6/2014 Buck-i-Nana said:

I volunteer at two local no-kill shelters. At one, I work in the "kitty room" cleaning up, scooping, feeding etc. (loving on the kitties too). I also regularly go to this shelter and take out dogs for walks in the park (had to go through a training program on this one). I love to take photos of the dogs in the park with me, and they have often been used on the adoption site.

The other shelter, I provide free computer support.

Both are "real work" but a true labor of love.

Thank you for volunteering at no-kill shelters. Animals hold a special place in my heart. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

We donate time at no-kill shelters and large animal habitats. We also make sure that our barn is in order when fire season hits for large animals that need a safe home until their home is ready for their return.

Valued Contributor
On 7/6/2014 SugarNSpice said:
On 7/6/2014 Buck-i-Nana said:

I volunteer at two local no-kill shelters. At one, I work in the "kitty room" cleaning up, scooping, feeding etc. (loving on the kitties too). I also regularly go to this shelter and take out dogs for walks in the park (had to go through a training program on this one). I love to take photos of the dogs in the park with me, and they have often been used on the adoption site.

The other shelter, I provide free computer support.

Both are "real work" but a true labor of love.

Thank you for volunteering at no-kill shelters. Animals hold a special place in my heart. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

We donate time at no-kill shelters and large animal habitats. We also make sure that our barn is in order when fire season hits for large animals that need a safe home until their home is ready for their return.

I wish I could do that---absolutely wonderful