Respected Contributor

Sadly, I had gum inflammation surrounding my back molar. Won't go into details, but my visit to the dentist was not painless.

I floss, use an electric toothbrush twice a day and a waterpik. I was quite surprised and disappointed to find that that was not enough at my six-month cleaning. I've always sailed through the routine.

I did find out a couple of things from my dental tech, who, BTW, is the best I've ever had. Gentle and informative throughout the process.

Here it is: she advised me to steer away from whitening toothpastes. According to her, there are microscopic granules that can imbed themselves between the teeth and gums causing inflammation and recession thereby hosting the possibility of bacteria. Evidently, I wasn't reaching the back molar to floss thoroughly.

I know this is kinda gross, but makes sense. Of course, I think it depends on the individual's techniques and daily habits.

The dentist recommended I use Sensodyne. He handed me a couple of samples and I'll it definitely feels gentler than the toothpaste I was using.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Trusted Contributor

Re: Visit to Dentist Yesterday

Thanks for that information. I have also heard that whitening tooth brushes can weaken teeth.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Respected Contributor

pommom, I recently saw a periodontist about gum inflammation and a deep pocket on a back molar crown. The doctor recommended massaging between the teeth of the problem area with a rubber-tipped massager. The rubber tip is on the end of a long handle - like a toothbrush.

After a month of using the rubber tip, the area was improved enough that the periodontist said I did not need any further treatment. Right after that I had my cleaning with my regular dentist and there was no problem with the pocket or gum bleeding.

Other things the periodontist stressed: Only use mouthwash for 30 seconds, and time it; Do no eat or drink for 30 minutes after using mouthwash because the active ingredients will be dissolved or washed away.

Respected Contributor

Montana - would I find the rubber-tipped massager at the drug store or is this something my dentist would carry?

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Super Contributor

My dentist also has advised against using whitening toothpaste for the same reason and that the whitening erodes the enamel.
Trusted Contributor

On 10/12/2014 pommom said:

Montana - would I find the rubber-tipped massager at the drug store or is this something my dentist would carry?

You should be able to find it at any drug store or Target. They have them on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Gum-Butler-G-U-M-Stimulator-Pack/dp/B00ELM6WRI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413123...

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Respected Contributor

Search for "gum stimulator" on Amazon.

ETA: Apparently gum stimulation is essential to gum health. Brushing and flossing is not enough. I did both without fail, saw my dentist every six months and I still had problems. Neither my dentist or hygienist ever mentioned gum stimulation to me.

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry about your dental problems. I use Sensodyne because my gums are so receded that she had to put a numbing agent on me to clean my teeth due to pain! Well Sensodyne didn't help me.

So last time the dentist put some sort of stuff on the gums that is to last 6 months to a year to help that receding pain.

They told me your gums can recede IF you brush too fast. You are to brush slowly always. (Which I was brushing fast my whole life).

Anyway I can relate to you. I took care of my teeth yet broke teeth and had failed root canals, and all kinds of problems!

I finally got fed up! And over a 2 year period had all kinds of work done, (and some plates put in too due to failed root canals), and now I have a WONDERFUL SMILE! :-)

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles