Esteemed Contributor

Re: Valuables stolen from cars while owner working out in fitness facility

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

It's common sense. 

You have the exact words above. There are, unfortunately, so many intelligent people that haven't an ounce of common sense. I have met many running my Hockey league. Super smart, but common sense? 

Who sets out to play a hockey game, and says, "I forgot my skates"? Hello!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Anyone who leaves valuables in cars, locked or unlocked in a public place deserves to have them stolen. Even in your own driveway.

Stupid!

Does anyone have a trunk?

Honored Contributor

DS lived in a not so great neighborhood in San Diego and drove a Jeep (soft top & sides).  He ALWAYS left the Jeep unlocked!!!  Why?  Because he couldn't afford to replace the soft top and sides if someone decided to slash it in order to get inside... and he never ever left valuables in his Jeep.

He had a 30 year old sleeping bag stolen from it (but they didn' ruin his soft top/sides) and we all thought that if the person stealing it needed that old thing that bad.... we hope it provided warmth (questionable).

Then he decided to put in a super theft proof console.  Someone saw the console and assumed he had valuables in there and tried to crowbar it open.  It wouldn't open but they ruined the console and there was nothing valuable in it.  That came out and fortunately the softtop/sides was not ruined.

He had cigarettes stolen (half packs that he left).... and he never left anything of value in his Jeep and was smart & lucky that he left it unlocked because someone at sometime would have slashed open his soft top or sides to get into it....  and there was no way he could afford a new top for it.

And then he moved to an area of the US where you can leave your motor running outside of a store and NO ONE will bother it....  very low crime and and a strong sense of respect for others and their belongings..... it's still out here, harder to find but worth it when you do.  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

I have a ring with several keys on it and I have a dog leash type clip attached to the ring.  I slip the dog leash clip through the ring that holds my handle on my purse and then clip it to the cart.  There is no play in it like there would be if you used the child restraints.  If they try to grab my purse my keys would jingle to get my attention.  I feel fairly safe doing this.  It is kind of hard to get the clip undone without me seeing it.

Respected Contributor

Don't like to make generalizations but I think gyms are just a magnet for creeps to hang out, whether they are scoping for a cute woman or for a car to break into.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

I saw this on the news tonight, it's been on  many times before where people leave their valuables locked in the car in plain view while they go in the facility to work out. (purses, computers etc)  criminals come along breaking windows stealing the valuables. Police depts, news media  warn people every time this happens to never leave valuables in the car yet it still continues. A Lady who had her purse stolen with her drivers license and credit cards was interviewed and said how she was so upset and so angry at the criminals. I don't understand why people allow this crime of opportunity to happen when it's been on the news many times. It makes no sense to me, I don't feel sorry for her.   Does this happen where you are ?   Am I being insensitive ?  I would never, never do this. It's common sense. It's the world we live in.   

If we are coming from work and have bags, etc where would you like us to put them? They can't fit in the gym lockers so??? I have two big bags with my laptops and equipment I need and I have to travel between home and work with it and go to the gym after work. It is fine if you are retired or going to the gym at lunch. I hide all my stuff as best as I can but that still does not guarantee that it won't get stolen. And no, I don' thave a trunk- I drive a truck.

I think the generalizations of people being stupid by leaving stuff in their car is a pretty narrow point of view but oh well.