Esteemed Contributor

Was there anything you or your husband could have done?  Probably not, so she definitively could have and should have waited.  Years ago, my BIL and SIL were on vacay in Europe when their house was struck by lightning. There was minimal damage.  Their adult children called me and asked if they should contact their parents? I asked them if there was anything their parents could do from Europe except worry? They said no, and didn't call them. 

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

@MamaWick wrote:

Was there anything you or your husband could have done?  Probably not, so she definitively could have and should have waited.  Years ago, my BIL and SIL were on vacay in Europe when their house was struck by lightning. There was minimal damage.  Their adult children called me and asked if they should contact their parents? I asked them if there was anything their parents could do from Europe except worry? They said no, and didn't call them. 

You can’t be serious.  You’re equating property  damage with the death of a family member??

Respected Contributor

If your sister has a daily phone conversation with you, she probably thought you would want to know your cousin died.  I know I would want a text or call telling me if one of my cousins passed away.

Also if it were me, I would have taken a few seconds to text back, “Thanks for letting me know, Sis.  So sad.  I will call you when I get home.”

My guess is that you are correct, and she is annoyed with you for a perceived rudeness.  In my mind she did nothing wrong by her message, but you obviously feel differently.

Sounds like you two are close....I’m sure it will blow over.

Valued Contributor

Thank you, we are close.  I did thank her for the message on my husband's phone. However, she did not know it was me who responded to the text.  As far as she knows,  only my husband know about her text.  She sent it directly to him to avoid stressing me because of my illness.  Your advice is well taken.

Esteemed Contributor

@september wrote:

I have words. @Thrive  Perhaps you’ve never been in a situation where you had to deliver the news of a loved ones passing.  

Those of us who have been there, have been grieving and under a great deal of stress.  The last thing on my mind, would have been whether or not I was ruining someone’s vacation. 

@september 

So true.

When I got the call that my dad had died, I was in shock, and all I could think about was I had to notify the family.

It was awful making those calls and breaking the news to them.

It felt like my mind was racing on what to do, yet at the same time, it felt like it was moving through thick sludge, if that makes any sense.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

@Thrive wrote:

Thank you, we are close.  I did thank her for the message on my husband's phone. However, she did not know it was me who responded to the text.  As far as she knows,  only my husband know about her text.  She sent it directly to him to avoid stressing me because of my illness.  Your advice is well taken.

Sounds like she was trying to be considerate to your welbeing.

Esteemed Contributor

@september wrote:

@MamaWick wrote:

You can’t be serious.  You’re equating property  damage with the death of a family member??

I don't care if I am on vacation, and there is nothing that I can do, I would still want to know as soon as possible if a family member had passed.

Valued Contributor

Thank you!  I feel less rude and insensitive. I too thought it could have waited .  If I could have changed his destiny I would have done so.  I have dealt with so much loss ie: my son and parents.  I also have multiple sclerosis.  At this point in my life, it's difficult to hear more bad news.  However, I understand too that it's not all about me.

Honored Contributor

@Thrive  Maybe your sister is waiting for you to call her?  Or does she always call you?

Did you send her the email that you arrived home safely?  Maybe she's waiting for that to call.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

I guess I'll keep it to myself where my DH and I spent this past Christmas Eve.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~