Honored Contributor

2 more that I find puzzling, Kristin Smart, Lauria Jaylene Bible/Ashley Freeman disappearances.......

Esteemed Contributor

I am watching a 2015 documentary on the History channel called, Alcatraz: Search for the Truth.  A look at new evidence surrounding the 1962 escape from Alcatraz in which 3 inmates broke out of the island penitentiary and were never recaptured nor were their bodies ever found!  

Interesting....

Honored Contributor

There was a show on TNT called Cold Justice that I enjoyed watching. I'm not sure if it was renewed for the fall but I certainly hope so.

Respected Contributor

The Anthrax murders

Respected Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

I'm reading "Fatal Vows" by Joseph Hosey.  It is about Drew Peterson ex-Bolingbrook cop. He's in prison for the murder of his third wife and just sentanced for trying to have the DA murdered.  His fourth wife Stacy is missing nearly 9 years now

I live in the next town over. Every time we are out I'm looking at empty fields wondering if the blue barrel is out there.  I belonged to the Wine Styles that he and Stacy belonged to, I shop at the same Meijer that they did.

Last night I read a chapter that includes unsolved murders in this area.  I remember quite a few of them. Amazing how many there are around here.

Hi Mary - I too live near Plainfield. Lisa Stebic has been missing since '07 but not as popular of a case as Peterson.  You know the husband had something to do with it. I feel for her family. I heard the house was recently put up for sale. Any info??

Trusted Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

There was a show on TNT called Cold Justice that I enjoyed watching. I'm not sure if it was renewed for the fall but I certainly hope so.

No, it has not been renewed since the star of the show - the former prosecutor - is under fire in Texas for her last trial.  Not furnishing the defense with strategic information and documents.  The former investigator for the State quit his job of 22 years over this case and said the way she manipulated the evidence and the witnesses was beyond belief and illegal - he's now working for the defense team trying to clear the guy's name. [Sorry, cannot remember the fellow's name]. This was jujst profiled on either 48 Hours or 20/20.  So - while she is being investigated and the case is being retried the program will not be renewed because she is a farce and manipulated the justice system to her own end - that was her last official case before the TV series started.  They are now looking into others.

Honored Contributor

The History Channel's

D. B. Cooper:  Case Closed?

It's a two-part series. First aired last night (7/10). Tonight will conclude.

It's a facinating look at this case. Do watch it!

Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

The Zodiac killer in the end was thought to be a law enforcement officer.  He was never caught but authorities believe he has passed away - I certainly hope so. 

There's always been speculation about the Boston Stranger.  Scary stuff. 

There have been dozens of suspects and I don't recall any in law enforcements who were given more weight than any others.

I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area in the 70s, near Benicia and Vallejo. My summer camp used to take kids waterskiiing at Lake Berryessa. The Zodiac Killer was our boogeyman growing up. I remember when the papers got a new letter claiming to be from the Zodiac Killer, in 1987. He threatened to run kids over on Halloween in that letter. That was one scary Halloween.

Honored Contributor

Re: Unsolved Crimes

[ Edited ]

@RazorSharp wrote:

The Black Dahlia, Jack the Ripper and DB Cooper come to mind.

I've been fascinated by The Black Dahlia case since I first learned about it when I was maybe 10 or 12 years old. I think I found a copy of Hollywood Babylon, but it could have been something else. I've read nearly every "My Dad Was the Black Dahlia Killer!" book out there and am still fascinated, but I don't think they'll ever solve that one, either. 

Three years before Jack the Ripper there was the Servant Girl Annihilator, an axe murderer who claimed 8 victims in Austin, Texas. He's thought to be the first serial killer in America. There are even some theories that he moved to England and resumed killing there and is the same person as Jack the Ripper. (I think that theory is too far-fetched and attribute it to the fact that people would rather believe there are a very few HUGE monsters in the world and not a much larger number of slightly lesser monsters.) Skip Hollandsworth wrote a book about the case last year and you can read an excerpt Texas Monthly ran here.

Esteemed Contributor

Remember the Robert Blake case?  Does anyone think he killed Bonnie Lee?  He was found not guilty, but I just don't know about his innocence.

Same with Phil Spector (eccentric and just waaay out there).  I think he is where he's supposed to be.

*Call Tyrone*