Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ugh! Can't find laundry sanitizer anywhere

@ROMARY wrote:

Slightly off topic, but...........

I've been noticing in TV commercial advertisements:

One for Downey Free and Gentle fabric softener.

The other, Tide Free and whatever laundry detergent.

Good to see unscented versions, especially when used for children, pillow cases, sheets, clothing, etc., etc. 

@ROMARY 

Downey Free and Gentle and Tide Free (or whatever it's called) are the two products I use. They've both been around for a number of years. They're a blessing for us allergic folks. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

twyaiu3o5tdxhj9dvrme.jpgxmuc4cuiiftkx3jvxkse.jpgnidqorwmmvc8yuiwodey.jpgIn addition to Crisp Linen, this Lysol product comes in 3 other varieties.  Not sure how readily available they are.

Esteemed Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

twyaiu3o5tdxhj9dvrme.jpgxmuc4cuiiftkx3jvxkse.jpgnidqorwmmvc8yuiwodey.jpgIn addition to Crisp Linen, this Lysol product comes in 3 other varieties.  Not sure how readily available they are.

Thanks for this information, @Johnnyeager !  Unfortunately, I've never seen the unscented version in my area. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'll tell you why I started using Lysol Laundry Sanitizer...

Some time ago I gave my dog a bath. I dried her off with some bath towels then hung 'em it out to dry. When I went to do laundry a few days later, I noticed a doggie stink coming from the load of clothes where those towels were. I rewashed them but I could still smell 'dog'. That's what made me decide to try the Lysol and I haven't stopped using it since. Now I can't find it so now the stink is the groomer's problem...lol!

In the mean time, I'm using ODOBAN. It's an all-purpose product where you can use it in the laundry as well as use it as a spray disinfectant/deodorizer/cleaner. It's also pet-friendly, Chewy sells it. Has a mild eucalyptus smell to it...very pleasant.

169638_MAIN._AC_SS190_V1579617489_.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

I'll tell you why I started using Lysol Laundry Sanitizer...

Some time ago I gave my dog a bath. I dried her off with some bath towels then hung 'em it out to dry. When I went to do laundry a few days later, I noticed a doggie stink coming from the load of clothes where those towels were. I rewashed them but I could still smell 'dog'. That's what made me decide to try the Lysol and I haven't stopped using it since. Now I can't find it so now the stink is the groomer's problem...lol!

In the mean time, I'm using ODOBAN. It's an all-purpose product where you can use it in the laundry as well as use it as a spray disinfectant/deodorizer/cleaner. It's also pet-friendly, Chewy sells it. Has a mild eucalyptus smell to it...very pleasant.

169638_MAIN._AC_SS190_V1579617489_.jpg

I buy this at Home Depot. Good stuff! (particularly helpful in the bathroom)

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@wagirl wrote:

I bought a huge size of that stuff a year or more ago and it says to fill the fabric dispenser with it but I don't have a washer with that dispenser --I have a bleach dispenser--are they the same just different names or is it the timing when they are released? It says dont to just pour it in during the rinse cycle----haven't used it because of that.

@wagirl my washing maching is a top load and has two different dispensers.  The bleach dispenser is on the top in the corner and the fabric softener is in the agitator.  As far as I know, it flings the softener out right before the rinse cycle because I can do a deep rinse if I used it.  I don't use softener so I lie.  I put water in it just to get that extra rinsing.

@CelticCrafter, our HE top loader has an extra rinse option that I use every time, partially because I fear the sometimes I'm a bit heavy-handed with the HE detergent, and that is not a good thing.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I think the problem is that modern washers don't get clothing properly clean. AFAIC, there is no substitute for an old top-loader with agitator and ample water slucing through clothing and bedding. If your clothing doesn't come out of the wash smelling clean, it's not, and it needs to be washed again.

From the usage details described on this thread, many who use this additive may not be getting the product's benefits beyond the scent. From Lysol:

"To sanitize:

Add to rinse cycle and leave product in rinse cycle for 16 minutes."

"To Disinfect

Pour 2 capfuls into 1 gallon of cold water. Soak items for 15 minutes.  Rinse thoroughly with clean water or machine wash as directed"

My rinse cycle doesn't run for 16 minutes, even on the heavy-duty setting, and it's an old top-loader. If this product is being added to the clothing at the beginning of the cycle or put in the bleach dispenser, it seems unlikely to be sanitizing much. Actual disinfection requires the presoak.

Valued Contributor

I've used it for a couple of years and have been unable to find it since April.  You can find it on Amazon for an insane amount of money.

Valued Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

I found some at Target a couple of weeks ago.  I was down to my last bit of it.  I don't use it on every load.

I was looking everywhere for original scented Mr. Clean for months.  

I'm still on the hunt for Clorox or Lysol wipes Smiley Sad

I just saw Mr. Clean at my Target.  They had several scents.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have three left but now I'd better get more. I got it on Amazon for about twenty dollars a bottle. Sam's club carries it but I haven't needed it  I am adding to my post because I am starting to notice quite a few things are missing in our local stores. Everything from cleaning, meat & other foods I get often.