Honored Contributor

Re: Tipping for services rendered during the holiday season

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

I don't understand why there's a limit to how much we can tip our mail carrier--I never hear of any limitations on other people who provide us services, and the mail carrier is the one person who provides us service on a daily basis!  I tip my mail carrier way more than the "law" says.  Arrest me.

Every "company" sets their own limit (when I was working, ours became very strict) and the Federal govt is no exception.

But what I want to know is, how would anyone ever know? Unless a postal supervisor or inspector followed a carrier throughout their route and demanded to see what they took from every mailbox, or shook them down at end of day, how in earth would they know? I think they have better things to do.

And most supervisors don't care and wouldn't rat people out anyway. So people get $25-30 instead of $20. It's not like they're going to run off to Acapulco on that.

People honor a code of ethics because of their own personal intergerity. If others care or know is not the issue. It is about honoring a code of ethics that you have promised to follow.

Mail carriers are not providing you a personal service. They are doing the job their employeer as paid them to do.

At my company we are required to self-report or report others for violations of policy, ethics and business practices.

You can't force people to have integrity, you can only expect it and release those who do not.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

I never see our mail carrier at home, and they do nothing "above & beyond", so no tip. I give our regular mail carrier at the office a gift (not money), because he DOES go above & beyond what his job requires for us. I never see the trash collectors at work, and we take our own trash from home to the local solid waste center (rural area).

I give the lady who cleans our home & office a "bonus" (more than just a tip) at both places, she works very hard and is raising one of her granddaughters, so I know she can use the extra money. She also does "extra" cleaning when she sees something that needs it.

I don't tip my hairstylist. She is right next door to my office, and we often let her use our fax and copy machines. She's not real good with computers, so I do some online work for her. Plus, if she has to leave the salon during the day, and can't take her little dog with her, we "babysit" the dog! We accept packages and mail for each other, as well.

Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

I don't understand why there's a limit to how much we can tip our mail carrier--I never hear of any limitations on other people who provide us services, and the mail carrier is the one person who provides us service on a daily basis!  I tip my mail carrier way more than the "law" says.  Arrest me.

Every "company" sets their own limit (when I was working, ours became very strict) and the Federal govt is no exception.

But what I want to know is, how would anyone ever know? Unless a postal supervisor or inspector followed a carrier throughout their route and demanded to see what they took from every mailbox, or shook them down at end of day, how in earth would they know? I think they have better things to do.

And most supervisors don't care and wouldn't rat people out anyway. So people get $25-30 instead of $20. It's not like they're going to run off to Acapulco on that.

People honor a code of ethics because of their own personal intergerity. If others care or know is not the issue. It is about honoring a code of ethics that you have promised to follow.

Mail carriers are not providing you a personal service. They are doing the job their employeer as paid them to do.

At my company we are required to self-report or report others for violations of policy, ethics and business practices.

You can't force people to have integrity, you can only expect it and release those who do not.

Please release me, let me go .... 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Occasional Contributor

@Marp.  Same.  I tip my mail carrier at least $50.  He always goes the extra mile to hand deliver my mail.  And he's hot so that's a bonus.  Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

I use to do a lot more then I do now. I stopped tipping my hairstylist and shampoo lady. Hairstylist basically has her own business and I tip her well every appointment even though I don't have to. I never see any of her other clients handing over a tip or Holiday gift. I did double my tip to shampoo lady this year because she is a very caring person. Also use to top nail technician but stopped after she whispered to me one day that she needed more $ this year to compensate for her no pay Holidays and other days off such as bad weather. I do give her a very good tip for every appointment throughout the year.

Mail carrier no. We don't always have same carrier and he does not go the extra mile so no longer do that. Before our prior carrier retired I did tip him because he went the extra mile not just for me but for others who needed it.

Even though my large condo has a budget line item for Holiday gifts for employees there are a few who take their job seriously, very courteous and go the extra mile so I do tip them. They all receive their gifts from the owners at their annual Holiday Party also paid for by the owners.

When I had a steady UPS driver who went the extra mile I tipped him as well. No longer have a steady driver.

I primarily give gifts to my small family and am not really interested in adding on to that. For me, not what the season is suppose to be about.
Respected Contributor

Would like to add when our prior mail carrier retired we gave him a retirement party. That is how highly he was thought of by the community he serviced. It was a lot of fun. Some brought gifts for him but mostly we honored him for his years of service telling little stories that happened throughout his tenure here, he enjoyed it and so did those who participated.
Honored Contributor

The guy who cuts my grass a few times during the summer for free, gets a gift and  my mail carrier.   Both get gifts of food.    Mail carrier got a big bag of citrus, grass guy gets Hickory Farms meat & cheese.

I don't do regular hair cuts, nails, etc.   So those 2 are it for me.

I am more generous with tips this time of year for food service.   

Respected Contributor

I gave a tip to the two lawn service guys, the exterminator and my hairdresser.

I have no idea who my mail carrier is, the postal enclosure is down the street and we never see him/her. The UPS or FedEx carriers? Never the same person when I do happen to see them. Garbage men? They drive around in the big trucks and have no idea who they are. I used to bring in gift bags filled with individually wrapped candy to my eye doctor's staff and the vet and that's something I regretfully forgot this year-

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I happen to get my hair or nails done close to the holiday, I give them a larger tip.  I had my nails done just about 2 weeks ago and I did give her a slightly larger tip than usual.  I had my hair done back in November and won't have it done until January so she didn't get anything from me.

We have a different mail carrier all the time and a different UPS guy so I don't tip them.  We do have a lawn service that fertilizes but they did the last treatment quite a number of weeks ago.  Everything else we do ourselves.  

Honored Contributor

I tip my hairdresser and the garbage pick-up men.  I give my dog's groomer a gift card to a local restaurant.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau