Honored Contributor

Re: Tipping for services rendered during the holiday season

@Marp wrote:

I tip my mail carrier because she goes out of her way for me and I tip my garbage man because he is so neat and also has gone above and beyond.  On two occasions when a bag tore he even picked up what fell out to the best of his ability.  That has only happened twice in eight years but I never forget that he did that.

The people that pick up the garbage are AWESOME!  What would we do without them?

Frequent Contributor

I patronize one particular cafe with a takeout bar (coffee, smoothies, yogurt, etc) on a regular basis.  The staff is so nice; they always insist on giving me free stuff. I give each person $20 in a money envelope for the holidays (that's in addition to the tip money that I give throughout the year). 

I also give a $25 gift card plus a small personal item (nothing expensive) to the sales associate that I deal with for skin care/cosmetics.  I always go to the same individual - - she's knowledgable and very sweet.  And she usually includes extra goodies in my purchase. 

Lastly, I tip an extra $20 to the stylist at the hair salon, and I give baskets of treats to the staff at the eye doctor and chiropractic offices. 

Super Contributor

I think it's because they're govt. employees, but I say tip away. I gave out gift cards. 

Esteemed Contributor

I gave a card with some cash in it to my gardener. Also I sent a check to my newspaper guy with a card for he comes early and puts the paper on my porch.

Esteemed Contributor

Hairstylist expense for what she does and the many years and gifts I have given her.  Never once in 30 years has she given me anything.  Yet at Christmas if I have an appointment near the date, I give her a gift.  I like her, but she charges plenty.  My friends go to cheaper ones.  Twenty dollars for cut at my friends.  I pay over hundred for cut and color.  I don't color my own because I get it too dark, but I might start trying again. 

Before I went to her 30 years ago, hairdresser were called that and gave you a gift at Christmas.  Maybe a hair brush or spray or something like that.  Just an appreciation gift for being a good customer.  The nail person gave you a file or a bottle of polish.  We never tipped the garbage man, postman.  No one tipped me for my customer service job at minimum wage back then.  I think it has gotten out of hand.  Doesn't do any good to tip, service the same not any better. 

I gave an gift card to a different mailman this year because he digged a grave for my cat and he is a relief for when my regular mail man has a day off.  He went beyond the duty of delivery.  I have known him for years and always give him something because he actually does something not his job.  He is retiring the end of Jan and I will get him a retirement gift.

I just sent a gift card to someone who worked so hard and finallly made it.  So, I don't mind giving, just where I feel in my heart I really want to, not because it's expected.I keep blankets and pillows and dog sweaters in the trunk of my car for homeless people.  So those that need it, get it,  Extra water to give, dog food. 

Honored Contributor

I gave the garbage man Hampton's popcorn, he is so reliable and very nice.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We tip (either cash or gift card) a few people at Christmas.  Our doormen and the men who park our car in the city get cash.  My hair stylist, shampoo girl, nail tech and husband's hair stylist get cash.  At our home the mail carrier and UPS man get a gift card, while our sanitation men get cash.Our dog groomer comes to our house and she gets cash.

All these people work hard and IMO, deserve something at the holidays.

Esteemed Contributor

I do tip my mail carrier, my UPS and FedEx guy because they always go above and beyond. I think if I just had regular mail service and not many other deliveries from the aforementioned, I probably wouldn't but I do have a ton of those deliveries so I want to acknowledge them. My daughter does too. She has an Etsy store and has many many deliveries for her supplies from all of those carriers. They have a long walk up her drive way and it is too tight for those big trucks so she chooses to acknowledge them too. I know you aren't supposed to and it is against the rules but none of our people have ever turned it down, so it is our secret. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

I do tip my mail carrier, my UPS and FedEx guy because they always go above and beyond. I think if I just had regular mail service and not many other deliveries from the aforementioned, I probably wouldn't but I do have a ton of those deliveries so I want to acknowledge them. My daughter does too. She has an Etsy store and has many many deliveries for her supplies from all of those carriers. They have a long walk up her drive way and it is too tight for those big trucks so she chooses to acknowledge them too. I know you aren't supposed to and it is against the rules but none of our people have ever turned it down, so it is our secret. 

Ooooh, @Irshgrl31201, then you and your daughter are not being ethical, and you're putting them in the position of being tempted not to be ethical - shame on you, what a terrible person you must be 😜😉🙀

You go, girl!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

lol! I know I am a bad girl @Moonchilde!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK