Valued Contributor

My husband and I had it last year.  Both in our 70's, our Doctor always has it in the office when we go for our visit next month.   No problems with it at all.

Honored Contributor

I've gotten the senior flu shot since whenever it was first available.  I don't seem to ever have a negative reaction to a flu shot beyond a bit of tenderness in the area of the shot for the first day or so.

Honored Contributor

Thank you all for your responses !

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

@QVCkitty1

Got it last year for the first time.  I usually have no reaction with the regular flu shots, but the senior shot gave me a sore arm for the next day or so and I was very tired the next day.  I'll get the senior shot again this year because the extra protection seems worth one day of discomfort. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Do they give you a choice once you reach the age or automatically give you the higher dose?

@CelticCrafter  CVS told me that I always had to request the regular shot or they would give the high dose shot.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Re: The over 65 flu shot

[ Edited ]

@Scooby Doo wrote:

I've had one.   It made my arm sore for 3 days whereas the regular shot didn't bother me at all.

I am in my late 40's with a compromised immune system but I've always had the regular shot.  However, I had a pneumonia shot several years ago and my arm hurt for many days after.

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Honored Contributor

Have been getting the over 65 flu shot for several years with no more adverse effects than from the regular shot.  My only reaction to either has been slight tenderness near the shot site for a few hours at most.

I agree with @GusMo that the 65+ is not a scam.  I didn't see extra charges by my doctor for it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I got the over 65 shot for a couple of years ... No problem.  

BUT .... years ago way before I "got old" ... my doctor said to prevent soreness from a shot, to exercise my arm.  I have a 3 lb weight that I use a few times a day for the first couple of days.

Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Do they give you a choice once you reach the age or automatically give you the higher dose?

@CelticCrafterI've had the higher dose twice, from Kaiser, and both times they asked me if I wanted the higher dose.  

I had no reaction to the higher dose either time.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband got his senior dose at Rite Aid and had a bad reaction.  Next time, he's getting his shot from the doctor, perhaps the regular dose.