Super Contributor

For the last 2 years, I requested not to have the senior dosage.

I had come across the information that the senior flu shot protected against 3 strains, whereas the regular flu shot protects against 4 strains.

I weighed the benefits of each and the fact that I was sensitive to some shots and chose the regular flu shot.

Last year I had the shot at my dr's office and requested the regular from the nurse and explained the above.  She gave me a strange look but returned with the regular shot and said "Wow I never knew this. I learned something today!" - she had verified what I told her!

The above was true for the last 2 years. I plan on verifying that the same is true this year again.

Respected Contributor

@Pandalady wrote:

@Scooby Doo wrote:

I've had one.   It made my arm sore for 3 days whereas the regular shot didn't bother me at all.

I am in my late 40's with a compromised immune system but I've always had the regular shot.  However, I had a pneumonia shot several years ago and my arm hurt for many days after.

I had the same experience with the pneumonia shot.  It hurt, but it's one of those "have to do it".

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I know there is another thread about flue shots , but my question is specific. Last year I would have bee eligible for the stronger shot, but CVS was out of it and I didn't want to come back. For those of you who got the stronger shot, did you have any adverse reactions, or was it business as usual ? TIA.

@QVCkitty1

I'm 66 and had my flu shot Monday.  Initially I had no reaction but then Tuesday night my upper arm and neck ached terribly.  During the day Wednesday I was only sore to the touch but come nightfall I began aching again.  My arm is still a little sore to the touch at the injection site.

Trusted Contributor

@QVCkitty1 DH had the super flu shot 2 years ago and did have a reaction.  Weakness in his arms and legs and diarrhea.  He was 78 at the time.  Last year he said no to that shot, just got the "regular" shot, as he will do this year.  Because of his reaction I opt for the normal shot too.

Trusted Contributor

@CelticCrafter - We got our flu shots last year at the supermarket.  We had to tell them we did not want the super shot, they asked why and then proceded to give us the regular shot.

Respected Contributor

Both my Dh and I have had bad reactions to the super shot..fever, headache, achiness 2 years in a row. This year we received the regular shot with no problems.

Trusted Contributor

No problems here either.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Do they give you a choice once you reach the age or automatically give you the higher dose?

@CelticCrafter

We were given the choice.  I would assume everyone can have the regular one if they would pefer it instead.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: The over 65 flu shot

[ Edited ]

I'm not starting but reviving this thread, since I'm going in for my flu shot tomorrow.  Been reading to get them done now, for people over 65.  Last year, my shoulder or upper arm got sore for a few days.  Haven't heard of anyone else going in for their shots yet. Wonder how this years batch will be.

BACK to add:  It's not as sore where I got the shot this time.  Diffferent lady gave me the shot this year.  

Honored Contributor

My DH gets the over 65 shot and has no problem but I am still trying to decide if I will get that one or stay with the general shot.