Esteemed Contributor

Target Liquidation Sales in Canada

Target started its liquidation sale today at it's Canadian stores. The bad press that has followed the stores opening in Canada continues. The liquidation runs from 10-30% reductions. One customer went in to buy anTV that was $199 last week. The same TV today was $350 @ 10% off. Sadly, the Target story has become one of how not to do business in Canada. A lot of disappointed customers left empty handed today. Oh my. LM

Honored Contributor

Re: Target Liquidation Sales in Canada

And they are flocking to Targets in border cities like Detroit and Niagara Falls!

Trusted Contributor

On 2/5/2015 Lilysmom said:

Target started its liquidation sale today at it's Canadian stores. The bad press that has followed the stores opening in Canada continues. The liquidation runs from 10-30% reductions. One customer went in to buy anTV that was $199 last week. The same TV today was $350 @ 10% off. Sadly, the Target story has become one of how not to do business in Canada. A lot of disappointed customers left empty handed today. Oh my. LM

That's a shame. You'd think they'd learn by now. I always thought they were such a smart retailer. Someone high up at Target needs to go over this failure.

Trusted Contributor

On 2/5/2015 terrier3 said:

And they are flocking to Targets in border cities like Detroit and Niagara Falls!

I think people on here have said that's because their prices were overall too high in Canada. I may be wrong, but I seem to remember reading that from people on here in the know.

Honored Contributor

On 2/5/2015 Deb1010again said:
On 2/5/2015 Lilysmom said:

That's a shame. You'd think they'd learn by now. I always thought they were such a smart retailer. Someone high up at Target needs to go over this failure.

The CEO already did lose his job over this!

Esteemed Contributor

The CEO for the Canadian launch did lose his job over the failed entry into the Canadian market. The news story about that was that he was paid more in severance than the entire severance package for the 17,000 people that will lose their jobs when the stores close.

You know what happens sometimes when people pick a bad news story and focus only on the bad news? I think this is happening with Target in Canada. It seems the only press they get is bad. Target USA must hate this story by now. The closure is supposed to take four months. I will be very surprised if they last that long because it seems to be such a bad news story all the time. LM

Respected Contributor

That sounds like the typical liquidation sale.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

They must not be in a hurry to close the stores.