Trusted Contributor

Re: TWC - Tech Support.. OMG

On 2/5/2015 terrier3 said:

My favorite fix (it works more times than not) - just disconnect the cable at the back - let it sit for a few minutes, reconnect and it will re-boot.

Cable companies are doing so many upgrades now, the systems often need rebooting.

I have AT&T and just had to do that today. In fact, it happens at least once a week. One time I called and they told me to do that (shut off power to the box) and now it works like a charm. I hope I didn't just jinx myself.

Respected Contributor

On 2/5/2015 LipstickDiva said:

TWC's CS, no matter the department, is a complete disaster. The right hand doesn't know what the left is doing.

We were having modem/internet issues at our house. They'd send someone who would change a few things around and claim it was fixed...same issues. Someone else would come, undo what the first tech did and claim it was fixed...same issues. We had techs out probably 4 times before a supervisor finally showed up and got the issue fixed.

I am very lucky that a very good friend of mine is a supervisor with TWC so when I have a problem, I call her. She either points me in the right direction or handles the issue for us. From the time we signed up for cable she has told me not to ever, every contact CS because they don't know what they are doing. She was right.

Wow. I have a problem with this. Your friend is a supervisor with TWC and is aware that CS is a problem? Even if she's not a supervisor over CS, she's in management and as such, should be addressing the CS and tech problems, not just helping out friends! No wonder TWC is a mess.

Honored Contributor

On 2/5/2015 Buck-i-Nana said:
On 2/5/2015 LipstickDiva said:

TWC's CS, no matter the department, is a complete disaster. The right hand doesn't know what the left is doing.

We were having modem/internet issues at our house. They'd send someone who would change a few things around and claim it was fixed...same issues. Someone else would come, undo what the first tech did and claim it was fixed...same issues. We had techs out probably 4 times before a supervisor finally showed up and got the issue fixed.

I am very lucky that a very good friend of mine is a supervisor with TWC so when I have a problem, I call her. She either points me in the right direction or handles the issue for us. From the time we signed up for cable she has told me not to ever, every contact CS because they don't know what they are doing. She was right.

Wow. I have a problem with this. Your friend is a supervisor with TWC and is aware that CS is a problem? Even if she's not a supervisor over CS, she's in management and as such, should be addressing the CS and tech problems, not just helping out friends! No wonder TWC is a mess.

She's not a supervisor over CS. In fact, she's not even in the same office/city as CS. TWC is in the process of being sold and much of the CS has been outsourced to another country. They know CS is a mess. TWC is listed as having one of the top 10 worst CS departments.

TWC as a company is pretty much a mess right now. Higher ups than her know there are problems. Nothing is getting done about them. Much of their tech employees are independent contractors and not even sent from TWC.

Honored Contributor

On 2/6/2015 LipstickDiva said:
<br />

She's not a supervisor over CS. In fact, she's not even in the same office/city as CS. TWC is in the process of being sold and much of the CS has been outsourced to another country. They know CS is a mess. TWC is listed as having one of the top 10 worst CS departments.

TWC as a company is pretty much a mess right now. Higher ups than her know there are problems. Nothing is getting done about them. Much of their tech employees are independent contractors and not even sent from TWC.

I worked there for over 16 years and just left a year ago.

The place went from one of the BEST cable companies to the WORST, as they prepared over the last 5 years to sell.

Managers that are left don't care...they are all getting their resumes out and are worried about their own jobs. As long term techs leave (or get run out) - they are replaced with third party vendors.

Even CS has been outsourced...to get someone on the phone in the USA is a miracle!!!

It's all GREED - the upper management will soon be so wealthy they will never have to work again in their lives - middle managers and the little guys will see their jobs disappear - and the customers will be footing the bill.

Luckily, net neutrality rules are being updated (through POTUS) and cable and internet access will be classified as UTILITIES that will be better regulated.

Honored Contributor

Once again terrier we see this differently combining TWC and Comcast just gives us less choices, less competition and it will get worse.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

On 2/6/2015 croemer said:

Once again terrier we see this differently combining TWC and Comcast just gives us less choices, less competition and it will get worse.

But I agree with you...the merger will cause lots of issues.

It was done so that Comcast can control internet access. More and more people are cancelling cable and getting Roku and other services. But THAT will still be controlled by Comcast - and they want to be able to "sell" access to big companies at higher speeds and kick off the little guys who won't pay up.

By reclassifying it as a utility (and making all net speeds the same - net neutral) - people will benefit.

Honored Contributor

When I was there, all employees got a card with a special phone number. I worked in ad sales - not even in the same building or having the same chain of command as operations.

If anyone complained to us about their cable or internet service - we had a special number we could call and a manager would take care of the situation. If the customer got a satisfactory result - we received $25.

They got rid of that several years ago.

Respected Contributor

So much for my 'non-tech savvy support' lol..who told me my modem was fine.

It WAS the MODEM! Replaced it and works fine. They showed up on the dot at 1 pm ..WITHOUT a call too..imagine that.

I had one other issue a year or so ago. A Garbage Truck took out the cable wire..we called in in immediately...they gave one excuse after another AFTER I was told it would be fixed ..considering no phone was emergency with disabled person in the house.

Well in their usual fashion nobody showed. I was on the phone LIVID with them..ended up with a Regional Director who was on-duty til Midnight. He sent somebody out at 10 pm to fix it..!

They or Dish are the only deal in town and I would swap dish in a second and the ONLY thing stopping me is the fast speed internet with the electronics AND I have had the same email address for years..when we first got internet.

Thanks for commiserating with me lol

I did not know Comcast was merging/buying! Intersting to know..

Respected Contributor

As many times as I have called TWC (too many times, IMO), I am always pleased with the service. They fix the problem. It is annoying that I have to call at all, though, since it is so often.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

On 2/5/2015 kittymomNC said:

CouponQueen, I feel your pain! I have the same bundle with TWC... phone, internet, and TV. We are held hostage here because there are no other cable companies. The only alternatives are satellite systems, etc.

I had a phone problem a couple of months ago and had to call on my cell phone (which is not a new-fangled phone). So after waiting for about 30 minutes, finally got someone on the phone with an accent - which was unusual. They had me unplug my modem, do this, do that, couldn't fix it, no problems in my area, etc. etc. They transferred me to a "higher level" tech support - they couldn't figure it out. One of the things I had seen online was to take the back up batteries out of the modem, but I couldn't figure out where or how. So I asked them, should I do that? They said no. Twice. Low level and high level tech support said NO.

So they said I would have to have a technician come out... this was on a Friday evening and it would be the following WEDNESDAY!. I said are you kidding, I have no phone service. So I got a supervisor, and after threatening to take every single TWC thing out of two houses, he arranged for someone on SUNDAY!. The next morning I called back, got another supervisor, threatened again, and he said he would have someone out that day (Saturday) if at all possible.

So that afternoon, a technician showed up, proceeded to TAKE THE BACKUP BATTERY OUT OF THE MODEM, and my phone was fixed! I was livid, and the tech was not happy. In the course of him checking other stuff outside the house, etc. (which he said they're required to do whenever they make a home call), he expressed his disappointment and the frustration of most of the technicians with TWC - found out they have moved call centers to the Philippines, and no one apparently knows what they're doing, so the techs are having to work extra hours to fix things that could have been fixed over the phone - LIKE TAKING OUT THE BACK UP BATTERIES! He said those batteries never worked to back up your phone anyway, so they're taking them all out because they just cause problems! Really??

I had regular cable service until two years ago, when my price promotion ended and they raised my monthly cost by about $50.00. The only way I could get it down was to go digital and get the set-top box on one of my TV's. I've had nothing but problems ever since, mostly with the TV. I was perfectly happy with plain old cable. If I had any other choices, I would not be a TWC customer!

About four years ago..a garbage truck took out my step-fathers cable..everything..they told him they were overwhelmed in the area and the best they could do was six-weeks. He had a fit..went to the local office and actually threw a hissy fit and told them if they didn't do it..he would (he was a contractor) ....they had somebody out there 3 pm that afternoon...

He has since passed away BUT you should not have to resort to such demands/threats and acting unprofessional to receive service/repair. He said if they told him 24-hours he would of been cool..even 48...but six weeks? They have to have emergency repair crews on duty..

When I called about the phone lines being ripped out that time by the garbage truck ..it happened 8 am in the morning. It was an all day issue. I was passed around the COUNTRY..literally!!

I am not sure outsourcing, take overs or what is the problem..but you are correct. I was lucky I spoke to a very young american CLEARLY English speaking young girl.

I could of googled myself..and the other thing - I don't mind trying this or that..but I am not a repair person..I have hip/back issues and do not feel like crawling around the floor...I am not tech stupid by any stretch ..it just gets very frustrating..you try and remain calm and professional.

then they have to ask if they helped you or whatever..and I kept repeating NO to help me would assure my appt would be kept...and she kept repeating they would automatically cancel if they could not call..that I dont' get..put on the work order..knock! The Manager didn't even quibble..he told me that is what he was doing..so why did it get to that level??

Then she sadi she could send me to another level computer system who could try and have me do various things..at that point. I said NO.