Honored Contributor

I am sorry. I have offended many. Please forgive me.

And there was no one left to speak out for me....
Honored Contributor

@Jesse Ann wrote:
@bonnielu
Is there an informational site that you can suggest that explains how to get a book published after one writes one? And how does one get their book onto Amazon? I have always wondered this because why write a book and then have no idea how to get the book out there.

@Jesse Ann 

If you want to get a book published by a traditional publisher, you first have to get an agent. To get an agent you have to find one in the right genre who is accepting submissions and complying with their submission process. (Typically just a query letter, followed by a synopsis then if they're intrigued, the first chapter, then finally the full book.) 

Once you get the agent, he/she will then present the book to publishers who may or may not be interested. (If you're lucky the agent will present the book to publishers. There are cases where an agent just forgets about the book after getting it and never does anything with it.) If the publisher accepts the book, and most are rejected, they'll then assign you an editor to work with to modify your book. You will then spend six months to a year or more finalizing the book and wait to see if they opt to go ahead with it.

Many books never get published even after being accepted by a publisher. The editor who liked it may move on and his/her replacement may not be interested. The publisher may decide it's just not worth the commercial risk. Even if accepted and printed the first run is likely to be five hundred copies or less. And you're apt to receive little to no support from the publisher in promoting the book. 

Self-publishing is faster, easier, and surer. Amazon has their Kindle Direct Publishing where you can publish the book on your own and put it up for sale on Amazon at essentially no extra cost to you. They have a cover design option where you can even design your own cover. You can make hardcover, softcover, and e-book versions. 

There are a lot of scam artists out there preying on writers. People pretending to be agents who will charge you to let them represent you. Agents who want you to use an expensive editor who kicks back money to the agent for recommending them. Fake publishers who will offer you a contract, but you have to pay upfront. There are so many scam artists that sites like Preditors and Editors exist to help writers avoid con artists.

Self-publishing is the easiest, safest way to get published. You're in total control. Amazon has a forum on their Kindle Direct site that can help you with issues that might pop up also.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Frequent Contributor
@gardenman
Wow! Thank you for that wonderful detailed answer! I have heard that it is almost impossible to get a book published. Seeing these comments led me to believe that there was an easier way. And I see that there is! It is wonderful that Amazon lets people self publish books. I have always thought, why go to all the trouble to write a book if it is almost impossible to have it published and read. Thank you for the wonderful information. You have given me a source to investigate!
Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Toppers3 wrote:

I haven't figured out how to change our account there with Prime where you can share your household so that you can do that. I usually don't buy under my own account but share my husband's account, which you can do.

@Toppers3  

Screenshot 2023-07-26 at 8.39.09 PM.png

@NYCLatinaMe  "It was a bunch of beverage bottles and it would have been expensive to ship back. "

Amazon has FREE returns if you live near one of their drop off locations.  If you don't live near one, returns are $1.00.

@Mz iMac  Amazon returns are free if the item was shipped by Amazon.  When they are shipped by the vendor there are different rules.  Anyway, I wasn't planning to return it.  If he insisted on it, I would not have agreed to pay return postage.  I told the vendor I was going to dispute the charge with my credit card if he didn't credit my whole purchase, and he did.

When items are shipped by vendors, Amazon sometimes asks for things to be packaged and for payment of a fee.  Amazon told me food items are not returnable, period.  The information posted on the Amazon website is not that clear on these things.  So I have learned to check who is doing the shipping, and not to buy food unless I know I'll want it.  In that particular case, I would have wanted it, but the item delivered was not the item I ordered, so I could dispute the charge easily.  It was just an unpleasant experience.