Honored Contributor

Re: TEMU update

[ Edited ]

Under Chinese law the Chinese government can have immediate access to the records of all Chinese companies. This includes their records of your records. Your name, address, credit card information and anything else you give them. This is the reason why Tic Toc is currently banned on U.S. military sites and on devices provided by the government. 

The Temu app can get around some of the security on your phone.
To read more put this title into your search

Get this Chinese app out of your smartphone right now 

by Albert Khoury, Komondo.  com. April 10, 2023

Pinduoduo, which has the same parent company as Temu, PDD Holdingsgoes even further and gains full access to your contacts, photo albums, texts, social media accounts and chats on your phone. Its app was suspended from the Google Playstore in 2023. In 2022 i
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Below are some titles of articles warning about TEMU. Put the title into your search if you'd like to read the article. 

Get Temu, the popular shopping app, off your phone now

Why the China-based app Temu us dangerous

A warning from cyber security experts about the Temu app

Temu accused of data risks amid TikTok, Pinduoduo fears

US alleges data security risks in Temu shopping app

What the heck is the Temu app? Here's everything you

Get Temu, the popular shopping app, off your phone now

Temu shopping app offers low prices but some have safety 

Temu shopping app offers low prices but some have safety

Is Temu legit? What to know about this shopping app

Temu, Chinese Shopping App, Sweeping the Internet. 

A warning from cyber security experts about the TEMU app

Buyer Brware! Is Temu Legit And Safe To Buy

What Is Temu? Read Before You 'Shop Like a Billionaire'

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@bikerbabe  Heard on the national news a couple days ago about a woman who has received over $4,000 worth of children's bed linens at her address from Amazon, addressed to someone else.  Amazon won't pick them up, tells her to keep them.  They won't do anything about the name/address error.  She's comes home to find cartons stacked 8ft high on her doorstep and can't get in  her house.

Strange that the person ordering doesn't complain about not getting her merchandise or maybe Amazon just re ships it.

Maybe she should file charges,against Amazon for littering?

@Kachina624 

All the reputable vendors that I have ordered from other than QVC do not request that I return the product sent to me in error.  Only QVC expects its customers to fix its mistakes.  

When I complain that I did not receive an order, I get a credit for the amount paid.  Even QVC has done that.

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe   I'm guessing it depends on the value of the merchandise.  If the mistakenly send you a $5,000 piece of gold, I bet they don't invite you to keep it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe   I'm guessing it depends on the value of the merchandise.  If the mistakenly send you a $5,000 piece of gold, I bet they don't invite you to keep it.

Well, I hope I have a chance to find out!  Actually, you reminded me of one time I did return the item I received in error because the reverse of what you describe happened to me.

In 1995, I decided to order a top of the line IBM notebook computer (ThinkPads) for something like $6,000, I forget from where, some office supply store.  I had a catalogue!  Notebooks were new.

When the box arrives, they just dropped it off in the first floor of my apartment building (no doorman), where I found it.  I took it to my apartment, opened the box, and it was a carton of transparency paper.  I almost had a heart attack.  I called the vendor, and they sent someone to pick up the box (I think UPS), and they did credit my account.  I ended up buying a lesser Thinkpad, I think about $2,000-$4,000, not sure.  I was so scared I had lost the money!  I figured it was an omen I should spend less because I was not sure the purchase was a smart move.  (It wasn't of course.  The supposed beauty of the computer is that something could be switched out as the technology advanced, so the computer would not become obsolete.  But as we now know, technology advanced quickly, and the prices came down quickly too.)  

I wonder if they ever found the computer.  The box with the transparency paper was addressed to me, and most likely the invoice inside, because if there had been an invoice for the transparency paper, we would have known what the mix up was.  All I remember is wondering what happened to my computer.

But I have received wrong orders from Nordstrom's and other places, and just told to keep the stuff.

Esteemed Contributor

So far good.  Yes, one email after another.  But I bought some really interesting items at a low cost and they are just fine.  And one item was not "wonderful."  and they returned my money.  Most of my orders are under $20.  And most of my orders are items that I have used and really cannot find easily or cheaply elsewhere.  

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe 

Amazon nearly always wants me to ship items back to them!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@zitawins @bonnielu @NYCLatinaMe @Kachina624 @Mindy D 

While checking that article out that @dooBdoo recommended on Kommando, I also discovered something!

off-topic: one can go into IOS apps and download "magnifier" and you can use your cell phone as a magnifying glasd! I'm very excited about this and wanted to share it!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

I have been happy so far with the merchandise but had no idea of the risk. I guess I will dump the app and then block their emails. It was fun while it lasted.  

Thanks

Frequent Contributor
You just gave the CCP your financial information. Not me.