Honored Contributor

Re: Switching out seasonal clothing

We have a large walk-in closet but I still switch out my clothes with our spare room closet. Yes, I have already stored away my whites too.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I have all seasons available in my walk in closet.  Coats are in a different coat closet.

Honored Contributor

Now that the kids are grown, I keep an extra dresser in a spare bedroom and use that closet. I keep sweatshirts for the coldest weather in a plastic bin. While we have 4 seasons, I change clothes out only twice a year and one is coming up.

Esteemed Contributor

Nothing special, since I have a big walk-in closet. Short sleeves on one side; long on the other. Same thing w/ my dresser drawers - short sleeves in one drawer; long in another.

Once anything is laundered, I just hang up or put away.

All my coats & jackets are in the closet, too.

Esteemed Contributor

I basically keep two seasons (spring, summer or fall, winter) in my small walk-in closet.  The off-season clothes on hangers are in my spare bedroom closet.  I keep sweaters folded up and stacked on a shelf in my bedroom closet year round. I start gradually switching out my closets as the weather dictates.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

I live in New England so all 4 seasons here.  I happily don't switch out anything LOL!

I am spoiled with a walk in closet (all mine) and DH uses the spare room closet for his clothing.  He also built me a closet in my basement which has mostly my dresses (summer maxi's and dressy dresses) blazers and a multi shelved shoe rack.   The other shelves are used for extra comforters, pillows and Irish sweaters (which are in storage boxes to protect them).   Again, this is why I truly try NOT to shop anymore. 

Respected Contributor

I hang my Fall/Winter tops on one bar in my closet, and my Spring/Summer tops on the bar below...so no switching out there.

My pants are all on the other side of the closet. I do put away knit jeans in the summer, and crop pants in the winter, but it's not much.

I do have switch my shoes out seasonally...I have way too many pairs!

Luckily, though, I can still keep ALL my clothes in the same closet--my bins are on shelves at the top.

Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, I don't have a walk-in closet, but I still keep my clothes for all seasons in one small bedroom closet and 2 dressers. My coats and jackets are in our coat closet in our entry way. 

When I owned a ton of clothes in the past, I used plastic bins and those assemble yourself closets in my basement for out of season things. I never want to have that many clothes again so if my closet or drawers get full, something will have to go. 

I already moved my white trousers, white jeans, white jean jacket, shorts, & summer dresses to the back of the rod farthest from the closet door.  My shoes are stored in their boxes on the closet floor so I brought the cold weather footwear forward and stacked the other shoes in the back corner. That's all I need to do. 

I keep all my shirts, blouses, and nicer tops hung & organized by color. I don't sort them by season. I have separate drawers for other items. One drawer for short sleeve tees, one drawer for long sleeve tees, one drawer for summer pjs, one drawer for winter pjs, a few drawers for sweaters and cardigans, etc. I can grab what I need easily which is especially nice right now when the temperatures can vary from warm to cool. 

Esteemed Contributor

I live where there are four seasons but I pretty much wear the same thing year-round, so I don’t change anything.  I downsized to a small retirement apartment, so my space is limited.  However, being retired I really don’t need much.  Like is much simpler. 

Respected Contributor

Yes, I switch out seasonal clothing. Just finished folding Summer shorts, tops, pants to put in large plastic tubs. Those go up into the walk up attic in the front room. Drawers and closets are all set for Fall/Winter clothing.