Contributor

Re: Strange phone call from ""Windows"" telling me that...................

On 2/3/2014 Deb1010again said:

Why does this story sound like we're all being toyed with?? c'mon people!

Deb1010again, this incident is the honest to God's truth. I came her to get the word out to all that I can because some people might fall for the scam and allow the callers to take control of their computer. There are so many elderly people that have computers now, and they aren't savvy to what can happen if others don't look out for them. I know that there are a lot of posters here, so this was a good place to start, as well a FaceBook.Smile

Esteemed Contributor

You actually called Homeland Security about this??? Do you have data on your computer that would jeopardize the security of the US government if it were actually hacked???
Respected Contributor

At one time I was getting some of those calls too. I had heard about it being a scam. When they started talking about my computer, I told them that I don't have a computer. There have been a few calls where they got quite nasty. They haven't called here for several months, thankfully. It got to where I recognized the area code on the number and then would answer that call with something like, "County Police, Fraud Squad, which detective can I connect you to?"

Super Contributor

On 2/3/2014 KathyPet said: You actually called Homeland Security about this??? Do you have data on your computer that would jeopardize the security of the US government if it were actually hacked???

Read the rest of the thread. OP was right to call.

Trusted Contributor

On 2/3/2014 NjsKillingme said:

Deb1010again, this incident is the honest to God's truth. I came her to get the word out to all that I can because some people might fall for the scam and allow the callers to take control of their computer. There are so many elderly people that have computers now, and they aren't savvy to what can happen if others don't look out for them. I know that there are a lot of posters here, so this was a good place to start, as well a FaceBook.Smile

I know the "Windows" scam is a real thing and what DoobDoo wrote is very helpful. I just question parts of your story... the part where you claim the caller went on about Afghanistan, us killing his boss and asking if you watch Secks and the City.

Frequent Contributor

On 2/4/2014 Deb1010again said:
On 2/3/2014 NjsKillingme said:

I know the "Windows" scam is a real thing and what DoobDoo wrote is very helpful. I just question parts of your story... the part where you claim the caller went on about Afghanistan, us killing his boss and asking if you watch Secks and the City.

After my experience dealing with them I believe it. When the guy realized that I wasn't going to give him any money he turned mean and said things that I can't even repeat.

Super Contributor

On 2/2/2014 NjsKillingme said:
On 2/2/2014 EmmaBunting said:
On 2/2/2014 NjsKillingme said:

Hi everybody...this wasn't a high school prank.....the more I questioned "Kevin" the more mad he got and that's when he called me a christian devil and said that "they" were going to shoot me and many other Americans. he said that he was from Afghanistan and he wanted to marry an American girl so he could get over here and sho ot Americans. He also said that we k*lled his boss...I asked who his boss was, he said "Bin laden". He also said that there was going to be a very large explosion very soon. This was frightening to me, especially since the super bowl is today.

That sounds absolutely frightening, Njs! But....to set your mind at ease.....I really doubt that a real terrorist would be telling a perfect stranger about their plans. This was probably just some idiot scammer from Nigeria trying to part you from your money.

Still......I would be really freaked as well if some stranger said those things to me too. You were right to call Homeland Security. Better safe than sorry....

Miss Emma, it was frightening...first he asked me if I watch S*x and the City and Kim Catrell.....he had a very heavy Middle eastern accent, and the more mad he got, the heavier it got. What scares me is if the have your land line number, they can easily get your address and send you something in the mail....The supervisor got on the phone when I was questioning "Kevin"....I asked if I could call them back, he gave me a number so I called it. It rang until a message came up and said that they would return my call, and they did, 30 seconds later. I forgot to use call blocking and I want to kick myself in the butt!!! I didn't think it was a legit number. Any way, when he called me back, this is when all the threats started, that's when I called HL security and gave them all the info.

What is a Middle eastern accent?

Are you sure you aren't confusing this with the many call centers located in India?????

Respected Contributor

If someone called me and claimed that they were from Microsoft, I would say to them, "Why are Microsoft employees calling Apple users?" LOL. Even if you don't have an Apple computer, it would be funny to tell them that your computer does not use Microsoft products and see what they say. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Contributor

I just had a phone call from ""Microsoft"" last week. I had not heard of this scam. They told me I had a virus on my computer that would erase everything I have online. I told them I wasn't having any problems with the computer...they insisted I turn on my computer because I DO have a virus. I said I did not and hung up. The Caller ID said it was a number in Alabama. Thanks for letting us know it's a scam! I am not computer experienced and it helps a lot to know these things!!!

How do I get rid of Pop-up Ads?

Super Contributor

I've had these calls several times, and they get really ornery, when you confront them. LOL The last time, I told the guy that I knew he was a spammer and that I'm on a "Do Not Call list". He said...."And what are you going to do to me, huh???" {#emotions_dlg.lol} What I've done is that I don't answer any number that I don't recognize. If a caller is legit, they can leave a message. Awful group of people making those calls.....