Trusted Contributor

Re: Someone Left These on My Front Wall????

@Silver Lining wrote:

@PeterDM wrote:

@Silver Lining wrote:

@PeterDM wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I wouldn't worry about it. Not everything has to mean something.

It could be as another poster said, someone found it, and placed it there, and forgot that it was there before they left.

I wouldn't concern myself about it.

OR, she could take 5 minutes to call the police to let them know what happened.  They may say that it's happened before, and that phone call could save her from being the victim of a crime. It's just a phone call.  You're probably (and hopefully) right, but choosing to ignore it, and just hang around to see how it all plays out may not be the best advice considering the information I relayed about my friend.  

PDM, I've hearted many of your posts so, hopefully, you won't see my response here as argumentative or dismissive. I just have to say that it will take a heck of a lot longer than five minutes to report it. Then when one finally gets connected to the "right" person I seriously doubt that he/she will take an official report. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) real life police work doesn't work like television crime shows. Even if there are or will be similar incidences, in this case it is unlikely they will be cross-referenced.

OP, if you want it on record you're going to have to go to the police station to report it. Take the card and poker chip. You can handle them by their edges and put them in a baggie but you really need not worry about smearing donor fingerprints. The police aren't going to dust for them or even retain them. I hope the personal issues you mentioned you're having will settle down soon and odd things like this won't be as worrisome.

Didn't think you being argumentative. Just thought that if it had happened before, and she called and said the words "5 of spades and poker chip," the police would know within a split second that she was marked and in danger.  I wouldn't care if it took an hour or 3 hours.  With the knowledge I have about my friend, I would take the time to address my own safety, and I just wanted the OP to do so, too.

@PeterDM, that other comment was Plaid Pants, not me. Mine is the one in blue.

@Silver Lining Yes, that's what I was responding to.  You said you didn't want me to think your response was argumentative or dismissive, and I was saying I didn't think you were being argumentative.  

Esteemed Contributor

Real life police work is nothing like what they show on television.

In real life, police would not know "in a split second" that she was in danger.

That only happens on television, not in real life.

In real life, they would take a brief report, mostly just asking when and where she found it, and that's it.

They wouldn't waste resources sending the card and chip to the crime lab, to be tested for DNA,  finger prints, etc.

At the most, they might enter it in to a database, and see if there are any matches. But odds are, they won't even do that.

Besides, what if this is the FIRST?  Then there is no pattern to compare it to.

Police work many, many cases each and  every day. From taking accident reports, doing welfare checks, to catching traffic violators, just to name a few things. Then they have to type up reports.

Real life police work is nothing like the television show C.S.I.

Respected Contributor

Get yourself a Trailcam and set it up so you can see whoever might leave you another little message. DH got me one to watch the wildlife on our property and I've caught all kinds of stuff (meter reader wandering around DH's workshop etc) that has surprised me. You can hide them real easy in the trees or bushes and you just never know what you'll see when you aren't around. Well worth the money...one of the best presents from DH ever! Maybe you should return the favor and put out a Queen of Hearts and a Hershey's Kiss to bait the trap!

Honored Contributor

Police would not have fingerprinted it unless it is a pattern that has been going on related to a string of crimes. I would have reported it to the police like someone mentioned because you never know, it MAY be something that has been going on in the area and it certainly cannot hurt to give them a heads up.

I don't think it is a friend sending you a nice message or anything- wouldn't flowers or some other obvious show of comfort or care been better than a vague, ambiguous message like this that could clearly be more a cause of stress and angst to the person they left it for who likely wouldn't have a clue what it meant??. I am not saying it is a bad message but no one who is trying to send you a caring message is going to leave such a vague message.

Respected Contributor

Do you have people out there who hate you and want to do you harm? If not I would ignore it.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Trusted Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Real life police work is nothing like what they show on television.

In real life, police would not know "in a split second" that she was in danger.

That only happens on television, not in real life.

In real life, they would take a brief report, mostly just asking when and where she found it, and that's it.

They wouldn't waste resources sending the card and chip to the crime lab, to be tested for DNA,  finger prints, etc.

At the most, they might enter it in to a database, and see if there are any matches. But odds are, they won't even do that.

Besides, what if this is the FIRST?  Then there is no pattern to compare it to.

Police work many, many cases each and  every day. From taking accident reports, doing welfare checks, to catching traffic violators, just to name a few things. Then they have to type up reports.

Real life police work is nothing like the television show C.S.I.

@Plaid Pants2  I told you that this happened to a friend of mine.  The police told her that if she had reported the number stuck to her door, they would have immediately made the connection to the other house where this happened.  Why are you trying to demean me when I was trying to help protect someone from possible danger?  Who cares if this was "the first attempt?" The point was to take the time to make sure it hadn't happened before and resulted in a crime, so she could ensure her safety.   Shame on you for trying to school me about how real life is not like CSI.  What happened to my friend was real, not a TV Show. No good deed goes unpunished.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not everything needs to involve the police. People set things down all the time, and then forget that they did, before going about their business.

It most likely someone was on their way to or from a poker game, and they set it down to tie their shoes, then forgot that it was there.

I would just toss them, and not even give it a second thought.

Weird things happen.

It doesn't mean that someone is out to get her.

Esteemed Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Not everything needs to involve the police. People set things down all the time, and then forget that they did, before going about their business.

It most likely someone was on their way to or from a poker game, and they set it down to tie their shoes, then forgot that it was there.

Weird things happen.

I agree.  And I find it so unfortunate that the OP is putting so much thought into this.  She already has a full plate with other things going on in her life and doesn't need the added stress.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Weird things happen.

lol, who picks out a single card from the deck and put one poker chip on top of it and sets it down while tying their shoes? That really is highly unlikely. What about the rest of the deck or the other chips? Where did they set those down and why were they seperated from the rest of the deck and chips? Sorry, but this is one of the least likely answers. And I don't think everyone is saying people are out to get her.

Regarding the police, how many times have you heard on tv things like neighbors saying "well I heard shots last night" after a neighbor was found dead in their home and then they ask them if they contacted the police and they say, well no. I mean, it does not hurt to report abnormal things you see or hear, in fact, by doing so, we may actually prevent crimes. People shouldn't be afraid to report things to the police-this is why they are here and you could actual help save a life!

Respected Contributor

@Karnerblue wrote:

@PeterDM wrote:

I wouldn't have touched it.  I would have called the police to have it finger printed.  Has there beeny trouble in your neighborhood recently?  Has there been violence, vandalism, or theft?  Something similar happened to my best friend last year.  Luckily she has an alarm system, as her house was broken into, and the thieves were caught.

I doubt that the police would have it fingerprinted.  That's silly.  It's not a crime scene.

They don't even fingerprint cars here when they are broken into. Say it's a waste of time as the argument can always be made that they just walked by and touched the car. 

This sort of stuff is so creepy.