Esteemed Contributor

Re: So mad at myself I need to vent! (kind of long-sorry)

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@chickenbutt...in my state there is a tag (with a date)  that goes on your license plate, that is  how the police know.

We get a tag each year that sticks onto the corner of the license plate, but that is only about the auto registration.    I just don't understand how they have driver's license renewal connected to auto registration.   I guess each state is different.  Smiley Happy

When they radio in the license plate number to dispatch, dispatch types that in to their computer, which I think is linked to the DMV computer, and that would tell them if a driver's license is expired.

For example, license plate ABCD123 comes back as being registered to Jane Q. Doe of Anytown, and she has no priors, warrants, and she has an expired driver's license.

If you listen to broadcastify, like I do, you can hear all of these traffic stops that cops do, and them talking to dispatch, and dispatch talking back to them.

Honored Contributor

You should get your insurance reinstated before you have your court appearance, if at all possible. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cookinfreak,

My thoughts are that this will be a complicated, and likely costly mess to clear up.  Our DMV charges quite a bit more for renewal of expired registration.    I also doubt your insurance company will be easy to deal with after they cancelled your policy.   

Sadly, as difficult as this may be to straighten out, it was better to get pulled over than actually be involved in an accident, with injuries, and find out you are not insured.   Very best wishes to you.   

Honored Contributor

Plaid Pants2 wrote:

chickenbutt wrote:

momtodogs wrote:

@chickenbutt...in my state there is a tag (with a date)  that goes on your license plate, that is  how the police know.

We get a tag each year that sticks onto the corner of the license plate, but that is only about the auto registration.    I just don't understand how they have driver's license renewal connected to auto registration.   I guess each state is different.  Smiley Happy

When they radio in the license plate number to dispatch, dispatch types that in to their computer, which I think is linked to the DMV computer, and that would tell them if a driver's license is expired.

For example, license plate ABCD123 comes back as being registered to Jane Q. Doe of Anytown, and she has no priors, warrants, and she has an expired driver's license.

If you listen to broadcastify, like I do, you can hear all of these traffic stops that cops do, and them talking to dispatch, and dispatch talking back to them.

Ohhhh.  Got it.  Thanks!  Smiley Happy     I don't know why I didn't make that connection.  D'oh!

I've never listened to that sort of thing before.  Sounds interesting!

Honored Contributor

Incredible - the police randomly ran your plates when you had not broken any law, your driver's license expired and no one had notified you of that, and your insurance payment bounced but no one there notified you of that either. Boy do you ever have incredibly poor luck! 

I believe it is time for this OP to look at herself sternly and start to accept some responsibility for these failures to take reasonable care of her business.

Honored Contributor

@cookinfreak  Wow, you really got the triple wammy! So sorry you had a bad day. I hope tomorrow things go great for you. Wish I could give you a big ((hug)).

Honored Contributor

I hope you have a judge who understands but if you live in NJ I doubt it!!!

Long story short: (over 10 years ago)

I was "parked" in a loading zone (for which I never noticed the signage) and the officer came over and issued me a parking ticket. Of course, I was not the only one - yet, I never saw the marking - it was on the curb and pavement (not visible as I parked right over it!)

Anyway, after much "disputing with him" he said "you don't have to take this ticket"  ME:  'OK THANKS!"

FAST FORWARD - 2 YEARS:

My younger son calls me around 2:00 am coming home from Jersey shore - he said "do you know you're registration & license is suspended"? ME: What are you talking about?  He said "The state trooper said he wasn't going to impound the car BUT he was issuing me a ticket".  THANK YOU FOR SMALL FAVORS.

All night I pondered - ME, WHY, WHAT?  Well, I didn't pay that ticket and guess what they "suspended both". Not only did I have to go to the Trenton court system and pay a ORIGINAL ticket of $26 which was NOW $197. for court costs & arreages.

I got that cleared went over to DMV and told the clerk why Iwas there.  She looked at me funny & said "are you sure"?  I guess I didn't fit the "profile".

I said "yup that's me stupidity entered into my brain".

She did the necessary paperwork and informed me it was $388 to reinstate my license and registration.  

Insurance company was another "jump through hoops".  I had to pay upfront my FULL YEARLY premium to keep my good standing! 

So I hope you have better luck! Yes, it was a stupid thing to do - and yes, they sent me notices, etc. but I never opened them because I had been involved in a MV accident a few weeks prior and stupid me thought they were just paperwork from the DMV!

I sure learned a lesson -- Smiley Frustrated

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I don't understand how he would know, from your car's license plate, that your driver's license was expired.

@chickenbutt

Police use "Automatic Number Plate Recognition" which scans the license plate while you are moving & the police are notified of everything even before pulling you over.  

Honored Contributor

It's easy to forget because they send those renewals months in advance so, thinking you have lots of time, you put it aside for later and when later comes you have forgotten all about it.

I get pulled over from time to time for speeding, sometimes I get lucky with warning, other times I get a ticket. I go to court, I don't win, but hope springs eternal so maybe next time.

I'm sorry this happened to you, we all make mistakes, forgive yourself.

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@cookinfreak, I hate that that happened to you.  I had a similar situation.  I was hurrying to take my brother for a radiation treatment. They are very insistent you get there on time for these appointments.  I got pulled over for speeding and got a ticket for $235.  I didn't even bother to tell him my story.  Maybe you should contest it?  Here in My Province in Canada if you contest and the cop doesn't show, they throw it out.  LM

@Lilysmom- what is there to contest?

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?