Valued Contributor

Re: Should Algebra/Geometry be part of the high school curriculum?

No, it is a waste of time.  I was taught these 3 classes and have never used them. In fact, I can't remember them now.

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:
Most people don't really understand imo what algebra is. If you figure what an item costs on sale, adjust a recipe or figure mpg or mph it's Algebra.

You are correct. I don't understand algebra and I have never had a reason to do so.  I've spent decades accurately figuring: "mpg/gpm/gaa percentages/choosing engine rpm to rear end gear ratios revs per minute/calibrate air to fuel mixture for race engines from sea level altitude to 6,000 feet above sea level altitudes/cost per ounce for foods in different size packages. I learned that in the 4th grade in our Catholic school. It was called Math Class, not Algebra.

Add/Subtract/Multiply/Divide Math is all I have ever needed to work with: "whole numbers/fractions or decimals".  Was successful as a winning auto racer/engine mechanic/being the statistician at thousands of hockey games and in running(with my feet) road races calculating, in my head, mph into mpm.  Think I'll stick with "not understanding algebra" but knowing how to work with numbers.

hckynut(john)

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

That is Algebra, that you're using, Mr. John. You are just using simple formulas.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

During my career as a high school math teacher, I taught many courses ranging from Fundamentals of Math I to AP Calculus.  I do believe Algebra and Geometry (a subject I detest) should be part of any student's resume who plans to attend college.  Far too often I've seen students forced to take (by parents and/or counselors) math courses they simply are not prepared to take. (often it's lack of physical and/or mental ability)

I am not a proponent of teaching higher level thinking courses in lower grades.  It is not unusual for an elementary school student to manipulate numbers well enough to "get" the correct answer.  Frequently it can produce what we called Cookbook Mathematicians.  They only care about the result and not why the method is used to reach a successful conclusion.

I've read we use less than 20% of skills and facts we've learned. I for one am thankful for the other 80% of my knowledge as I am a whiz when I watch Jeopardy and I seldom lost playing Trivial Pursuit.

Esteemed Contributor

Without question. We do use it in our everyday lives. From recipes, maintaining investment portfolios, loans and formulas to calculate interest, you use it when traveling abroad and converting money, doing home improvements, sewing, etc... the list is long. I can't even believe it is a question.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

Absolutely.

Signed,

Not A Math Whiz

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh, geeeez.......I hated (yes, hated) algebra.  I worked my little brain so hard to earn B's.   I recall the teacher telling us that most of us wouldn't be using Algebra unless we were going to teach it, but that it's an excellent exercise for the brain.  Well, that's what he said, anyway..........And, keep in mind that it seemed as though it was hundreds of years ago...........(lol)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

p.s. And, also, keep in mind that some brains just can't 'go that way'. (Mine)...........Same with learning the piano at an older age when I was around twelve or so/more.........just couldn't get my mind to get it all together.  Algebra probably isn't for every single student, IMO.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I have read that learning algebra teaches critical thinking skills, and that we use those skills in daily life as an adult whether we would still be able to do an algebraic equation or not.

Honored Contributor

Yes, Noel, we did have to think!  That's for sure!

Honored Contributor

@sfnative... Hi! How are you? I will mention here that agreeing with your point, I instilled some math self-confidence in my students by mentioning that they were proficient in car engines and football plays... Examples of interest areas that develop spatial concepts.
~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~