Honored Contributor

Should Algebra/Geometry be part of the high school curriculum?

This follows the discussions we have been having regarding the relevance of required classes that should or should not be included in the educational curriculum for a student.

Would you please share your thoughts and opinions pertaining to this topic?

If not Algebra/Geometry and beyond, what should then be included?

My answer was formulated after numerous students would say "I don't see why I have to learn this... I will never use it."

I would like to read what your responses are before I tell you what my observation and reply was.

Thank you.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Should Algebra/Geometry be part of the high school curriculum?

@LTT1 wrote:

This follows the discussions we have been having regarding the relevance of required classes that should or should not be included in the educational curriculum for a student.

Would you please share your thoughts and opinions pertaining to this topic?

If not Algebra/Geometry and beyond, what should then be included?

My answer was formulated after numerous students would say "I don't see why I have to learn this... I will never use it."

I would like to read what your responses are before I tell you what my observation and reply was.

Thank you.

While you may not use the actual applicaions, higher math skills do help train our brain to a way of thinking.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

Absolutely. With exceptions for vocational students.  

Students heading for college will find they will be taking many courses they may consider useless in everyday life.  In the community where I live, considered one of the top school systems in CT, this would be a moot question.  I might add that a college education will give you information you need to succeed in life, but also give you lifetime skills of learning how to learn.

Esteemed Contributor

YES!  Then, they will understand trigenometry and chemistry as well.  They were taught in my day and we aren't dunces. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece@PamfromCT@CrazyDaisy

This is what I think, too.  Math "exposes" your thought path-ways to methods to problem-solve.

I told my students (who looked at me funny) that by evolving the pathways, they would be able to "figure out" ways to ie: get "around" the "dumb boss" (in the situations where the boss is dumb LOL) who is standing in the way to their success.

I told them that if there was ever a computer game that would sufficiently develop these pathways (and if it could be proven) the inventor would be a billionaire!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

As a person who hated math and could not pass an algebra class I think it is  not necessary for students to learn algebra or geometry but basic math skills today are sorely lacking. I have lived 60 years not caring if X + y= z. I did go on to earn a college degree and did not have to take higher math. Higher math classes are good for those going on to college but for everyday life it just isn't necessary. Kids today can't even make change. Give them skills for life, not just because it is supposed to make them think. All it does is frustrate them more. Not everyone can do or loves math. It's just another class to suffer through.

Honored Contributor

So OP - you think because the kids don't like those subjects they should no longer be taught in school? I guess that means history, english , composition, chemistry and all foreign languages should also be eliminated. Those were all subjects I hated in school. 

However, the fact is - you do use all those subjects in your life. You just don't recognize it but there it is. Cooking and baking are just a big chemistry experiment. A person who does crafts and carpenters or anyone who sews uses geometry all the time.

Honored Contributor

I use algebra and geometry every day. And no not in a paid position. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

We need students to learn high levels of math and science if we want our country succeed in the future.   Right now, education is failing, primarily because of budget cuts, and the dumbing down of America is moving at warp speed.

Honored Contributor

Yes, algebra and geometry should be part of the HS curriculum.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼