Honored Contributor

Re: Scam Target Kills Unarmed Uber Driver

This is horrible, I hadn't watched the news.

So the scammers that called the man, also called Uber and this woman driver came to pick up the box/package which supposedly the man had put money in?

I hope they find the scammers, too, they're very much a part of this.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank goodness there is dashcam video which captures most of the crime.

The full airing is more horrific than most news outlets have aired.

The murderer threatens to shoot the victim in the head.  You can hear her scream for help, begging him not to shoot before she is gunned down.

Honored Contributor

Another trigger happy tragedy
"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

Terrible story!  Looks like they were both being scammed.  What he should have done is to hold her in front of his house without shooting her and call the police if he believed that she was in on the scam. 

He would have no right to "hold her", that's what the police are for. Stay inside your house and call the police. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper    I totally agree.  The man was itching to use his gun.  It was obvious she meant him no harm, backing away,  he had plenty of time to back off.   He almost relished in shooting her.   But unfortunately he'll probably get away with involuntary manslaughter   Disgusting!   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The shooter has been charged with 3 counts of murder, not manslaughter.   He was the aggressor, the victim posed absolutely no visible threat whatsoever, never threatened the shooter and brandished no weapon.

According to the first murder charge, Brock “did purposely cause the death of another.”

According to the second, he caused Hall’s death while committing felonious assault, and according to the last murder charge, he committed it while committing kidnapping.

All charges specify that Brock had a firearm and used it to commit the offenses.

He is also charged with 2nd degree felonious assault and 1st degree kidnapping.

Maximum life sentence.

Given the video evidence I can't imagine that prosecutors would offer a plea deal at lesser charges.

Respected Contributor

A horrible outcome resulting from targeted scam activity. If they can find those who were responsible for orchestrating this scam, they should be made examples of for all, that these scams will not be tolerated. Unfortunately, little is done, if reported, since it's becoming all too common.

Being the victim of a threatening scam can lead to unexpected behavior. A need to get even, to protect oneself. Then you have a senior citizen at 81, who may have felt even more vulnerable, or perhaps with some cognitive decline, disabling his ability to control his violent impulses. Of course he should have called for help, but it's clear he was pushed to the dark side. Once there, it's too late. 

Then an innocent person pays the price for unknowingly finding herself in the middle of an escalating scam and attempted extortion. My heart aches for the Uber driver and her family.

So Uber banned the account of the scam caller and it seems authorities know who it was. So do they just get a hand slap, or what? They need to do some prison time, too, for instigating this situation.

Honored Contributor

I read that and I was horrified, disgusted and shocked.  My heart breaks for that poor woman and her family.   That man is no hero and not a victim.  He calmly killed someyin cold blood.   And she knew it was coming.   There was no threat.  No danger to anyone.  

Respected Contributor

What a horrible story, this poor woman was an innocent. I hope the police are able to find out who is behind this whole scam.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Have gun, will shoot.  What a horrible, horrible story.  

I have some sympathy for the man.  At his age he most likely has cognitive issues but he needs to be held responsible.  

More attention needs to be paid to the scamming attempts we all live with:/