Honored Contributor

Re: SO ! How was your Grandparents Day ?

I have never heard of it or celebrated it.

For me, every day is grandparents day.  I love my grands every day.

Honored Contributor

I had not a clue I'm sure they didn't either.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I believe the "holiday" was initiated by the greeting card industry (or maybe florists).   

Remember "Secretary's Day"????   I think that term died in the 1980's......

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

You didn't see anything because it isn't a real holiday.  It's like "Apple Cider Day" or "Hot cocoa Day".  Every day it's something different.  I didn't see anything about Grandparents day either  but Mother's Day and Father's Day are enough for us.

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

I'm a retired teacher. Here in southwest Missouri, we celebrated Grandparents Day on the Friday before the actual holiday. Each classroom had a program for the grandparents, and the grandparents ate lunch with their grandchildren. The grandparents loved it!

@Ainhisg  So the children without grandparents ate by themselves?

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

My son is 40 so we sent out cards to all grandparents right after he was born every year.  The holiday started in 1978 when I was still in high school.  When my GD started Pre-K I had lunch with her at her elementary school since it was not far from my office.  All the grandparents came for lunch too.  Pictures were taken and we enjoyed watching them have their recess after eating.

My children and grandchildren moved last year to far way for me to run eat some cafeteria food but her other grandmother goes now since she is closer.  Otherwise it is just a regular day.   The school lunch this year will be on Thurs. of this week.  

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I believe the "holiday" was initiated by the greeting card industry (or maybe florists).   

@Desertdi "Secretary's Day" has been renamed "Administrative Professional's Day"

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Ainhisg wrote:

I'm a retired teacher. Here in southwest Missouri, we celebrated Grandparents Day on the Friday before the actual holiday. Each classroom had a program for the grandparents, and the grandparents ate lunch with their grandchildren. The grandparents loved it!

Of course not! Parents were allowed to fill in for grandparents, and grandparents would split up to sit with children who had no one there. Lunch was free for all grandparents and parents.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ainhisg wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Ainhisg wrote:

Of course not! Parents were allowed to fill in for grandparents, and grandparents would split up to sit with children who had no one there. Lunch was free for all grandparents and parents.

The first year I went to my GD's lunch the boy sitting at our table had not seen his grandparents in months.  The drove 7 hours for the weekend and the school was the first stop.  He was so excited but then burst into tears when it was time for them to leave.  He knew he would see them that afternoon at his home but it did not matter.  He wanted them there with him for the rest of the school day.  Precious.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Valued Contributor

@DJs mom wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@Desertdi "Secretary's Day" has been renamed "Administrative Professional's Day"

@DJs mom wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

I had a Hallmark store for years..There was a card for just about anything..LOL