Honored Contributor

Royal Wedding (Tiaras)

[ Edited ]

When it comes to wearing "something borrowed," Megan Markle is marrying the right family. Her bridal look of course includes a top-secret dress, but the tiara she wears on top of her head contains plenty of significance as well. 

"Every major British royal bride since 1922 has worn a tiara," royal jewelry expert Ella Kay of the The Court Jeweler told GoodHousekeeping.com. 

Prince Charles could very well gift his future daughter-in-law a new diadem; 

both Sarah, Duchess of York, and Sophie, Countess of Wessex received new toppers on their wedding days. 

However, Take a peek in Queen Elizabeth's vault of jewels and you'll see why receiving a loaner is just as cool. While Kate's Middleton's pick, the Cartier-Halo tiara, will be on display in Australia during the wedding, but there's plenty of other diamond-encrusted headpieces to choose from. Plus! they're surprisingly easy to personalize as well. 

While Megan's untraditional fashion choices make predictions tough, here are Kay's top picks for Prince Harry's fiancee on her wedding day. 

c13gcn-37-1521744671.jpg 

The Strathmore Rose Tiara 

Elizabeth, Duchess of York, the future Queen Mother circa 1926 portrait. 

queen-elizabeth-mother-cartier-bandeau-1525295407.jpg 

The Cartier-Bandeau  

queen-elizabeth-ii-queen-marys-fringe-tiara-1525122382.jpg 

Queen Mary's Fringe Tiara  

As for the dark horse pick, keep an eye out for this classic inspired by a popular Romanov style Queen Elizabeth (than a princess) 1947. 

Diana Princess of Wales, Spencer Tiara.jpg 

The Spencer Family Tiara  

The tiara has beautiful curved floral motifs studded with diamonds. In contrast with normal Royal Tiaras the Spencer tiara is a combination of several elements. Two are said to have come from a tiara owned by Frances, Viscoutess Montagu and left to Lady Sarah Spencer 1875.

The central element was a wedding gift from Lady Sarah Spencer to Cynthia, 

Viscoutess Althrop (Diana's grandmother) in 1919. 

Or No tiar at All 

This option's a real longshot, even considering all the ways this royal wedding breaks with tradition. St.George's feels more like a cathedral than a chapel even though it's not. The space demands grandeur. 

Esteemed Contributor

I think it will be the Rose Tiara.......here is a close up

scan0021-1024x505.jpg

Honored Contributor

I think she'll wear one of Diana's as a way of paying homage to her at their wedding.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I've got the big book of Queen's Jewels and the prettiest one is a Russian piece. Similar to the above picture of Queen Elizabeth's , but, even more ornate. More diamonds, etc. Think it would be to much for MM because she'll never be Queen she can get by with a lesser piece. Be too overpowering for her future station.

Valued Contributor

I would love to see her wear the Spencer family tiara.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

@cimeranrose wrote:

I would love to see her wear the Spencer family tiara.

As I would too @cimeranrose.  What a tribute to Diana that would be.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@cimeranrose 

Fascinating learning about the Spencer Tiara, Easily available online.

Honored Contributor

@cimeranrose 

SECRETS of ALTHORP-THE SPENCERS 

PBS production now on Netflix. Must see! In fact off now to watch again. 

body_secrets-althorp_2.jpg__1024x682_q85_subsampling-2.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Wow,those early royal brides had quite the eyebrows,didn't they?  I hope the newest bride wears something from Diana's side as a remembrance.  Whatever she wears she will be lovely.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth