Super Contributor

Re: Robin Thicke and Pharrell

As RainCityGirl pointed out the only similarity is the drum beat. Lots of songs have a similar drum beat. Oh...and the falsetto. Lots of singers sing falsetto.

Prince's Kiss sounds more like Got to Give it Up.

ETA: There is a song by John Legend...the name escapes me...that sounds exactly like Stormy by the Classics IV. Now if ever there was a case for plagiarism that is it.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/11/2015 esmeraldagooch said:
On 3/10/2015 RainCityGirl said:

I've listened to the Marvin Gaye song Got To Give It Up and I own Blurred Lines. The only similarity I hear is the drum line and similar drum lines are used in all songs. You can't own a beat exclusive to everyone else as far as I am concerned. The song doesn't sound at all the same and quite frankly isn't as good as Blurred Lines. I hope they appeal this because it sets a bad precedent for anyone to come along and claim they were ripped off if a few beats are the same. It looks to me as if Marvin Gaye's family is just trying to cash in on whatever they can off a dead man. Too bad they couldn't keep his own father from shooting him to begin with. He'd then still be around to create more music. Pharrell is a good man and also very talented. He doesn't HAVE to rip some other artist off.

A new low even for you. You think this family had any control over his suicide?

He didn't commit suicide--his father shot him.
Honored Contributor

On 3/11/2015 Preds said:
On 3/11/2015 winamac1 said:
On 3/10/2015 Slate said:

I think the two songs sound very similar and I am glad they lost.

I don't think they sound similar. I'm sorry he lost.

I didn't either. Did make Thicke look like a dunce though.

I agree. And he said he was drunk and high while working on this. That's so smart.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

I'm surprised they lost too. I read that Pharrell is worth anywhere from 80 to over 100 million so this will not set him back to much financially. I realize that's not the point. Just sayin. I don't know Thicke's networth.

Honored Contributor

I'm not a music expert by any stretch, but I don't think they sound alike. I'm sure the jury had much more to go on than just listening to them, though.

Thicke is in idiot, and came off looking like and even bigger one.

Pharrell seems to be a 'nice guy', and is very talented. Hope he doesn't shatter that image with something bad coming out about him in the future. I sometimes think that calm, caring softness might be less than genuine, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

Saw MG's family (daughter?) blubbering after the verdict. I suspect a money grab by a family that was cash strapped? Don't know, but her demeanor was like they just got a verdict on a brutal murder case. Kind of over the top for a case like this.

I do love both songs.

Respected Contributor

On 3/11/2015 mominohio said:

I'm not a music expert by any stretch, but I don't think they sound alike. I'm sure the jury had much more to go on than just listening to them, though.

Thicke is in idiot, and came off looking like and even bigger one.

Pharrell seems to be a 'nice guy', and is very talented. Hope he doesn't shatter that image with something bad coming out about him in the future. I sometimes think that calm, caring softness might be less than genuine, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

Saw MG's family (daughter?) blubbering after the verdict. I suspect a money grab by a family that was cash strapped? Don't know, but her demeanor was like they just got a verdict on a brutal murder case. Kind of over the top for a case like this.

I do love both songs.

OMG, I thought the same thing when watching her. I said to myself, she's acting as if this is a guilty verdict in a murder case. She seemed phony to me. I also heard Pharrell's lawyer say he may appeal the verdict.

Super Contributor

On 3/10/2015 RainCityGirl said:

I've listened to the Marvin Gaye song Got To Give It Up and I own Blurred Lines. The only similarity I hear is the drum line and similar drum lines are used in all songs. You can't own a beat exclusive to everyone else as far as I am concerned. The song doesn't sound at all the same and quite frankly isn't as good as Blurred Lines. I hope they appeal this because it sets a bad precedent for anyone to come along and claim they were ripped off if a few beats are the same. It looks to me as if Marvin Gaye's family is just trying to cash in on whatever they can off a dead man. Too bad they couldn't keep his own father from shooting him to begin with. He'd then still be around to create more music. Pharrell is a good man and also very talented. He doesn't HAVE to rip some other artist off.

I TA! Couldn't have said it better myself. So many of today's song sound so similar.The family strikes me as being greedy and looking to ""cash in""...Wonder of ANY of the family members have a J-O-B.

Respected Contributor

Didn't Pharrell have to add Tom Petty's name to one of his songs recently? His inspirations are a bit too similar.

Super Contributor

On 3/11/2015 muttmom said:

Didn't Pharrell have to add Tom Petty's name to one of his songs recently? His inspirations are a bit too similar.

I think you mean Sam Smith's ""Stay With Me"". That was not written by Pharrell.

Honored Contributor

Did not sound the same to me when I first heard Thicke's song. Besides there was and will only be one Marvin Gaye and no one will have the talent to rip him off in any fashion.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."