Respected Contributor

Re: Robin Thicke and Pharrell

The rhythm is very similar and the existence of background voices but that's all, the singing entirely different. I think the jury's decision was a little off. The Gaye family may deserve minor limited compensation.

Respected Contributor

On 3/11/2015 Cakers1 said:
On 3/11/2015 muttmom said:

Didn't Pharrell have to add Tom Petty's name to one of his songs recently? His inspirations are a bit too similar.

I think you mean Sam Smith's ""Stay With Me"". That was not written by Pharrell.

Thanks. On one of the local morning shows they said Pharrell.

Honored Contributor

I've always thought the songs sounded more than just a little similar.

Did Robin Thicke he was helping himself by saying he was drunk and high when he gave interviews? (IMO) He is a buffoon.

There a similar lawsuit against Coldplay over Viva La Vida. (which I thought was a real rip-off)

Super Contributor

On 3/11/2015 esmeraldagooch said:
On 3/10/2015 RainCityGirl said:

I've listened to the Marvin Gaye song Got To Give It Up and I own Blurred Lines. The only similarity I hear is the drum line and similar drum lines are used in all songs. You can't own a beat exclusive to everyone else as far as I am concerned. The song doesn't sound at all the same and quite frankly isn't as good as Blurred Lines. I hope they appeal this because it sets a bad precedent for anyone to come along and claim they were ripped off if a few beats are the same. It looks to me as if Marvin Gaye's family is just trying to cash in on whatever they can off a dead man. Too bad they couldn't keep his own father from shooting him to begin with. He'd then still be around to create more music. Pharrell is a good man and also very talented. He doesn't HAVE to rip some other artist off.

A new low even for you. You think this family had any control over his suicide?

Why thank you. Even for me? Isn't it everyone's dream to reach a new low? {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} And by the way, Einstein, MG did NOT commit suicide. He was murdered by one of his loving family members....HIS FATHER.

Super Contributor

On 3/10/2015 scotttie said:

I've listened to the Marvin Gaye song Got To Give It Up and I own Blurred Lines. The only similarity I hear is the drum line and similar drum lines are used in all songs. You can't own a beat exclusive to everyone else as far as I am concerned. The song doesn't sound at all the same and quite frankly isn't as good as Blurred Lines. I hope they appeal this because it sets a bad precedent for anyone to come along and claim they were ripped off if a few beats are the same. It looks to me as if Marvin Gaye's family is just trying to cash in on whatever they can off a dead man. Too bad they couldn't keep his own father from shooting him to begin with. He'd then still be around to create more music. Pharrell is a good man and also very talented. He doesn't HAVE to rip some other artist off.

I agree. When I listened to them side by side they didn't seem alike at all except for those cowbell beats or whatever they are called.

(I need more cowbell!)

LOL. You can't have enough cowbell. It's just not possible.

Super Contributor

I doubt MG's heirs need the $. His estate is still listed as in the millions.

It's unfair to accuse them of being jobless, lazy shifts. I doubt anyone here would let another artist use their work and just give a big ol' *shrug*.

Super Contributor

First of all, I don't think his music WAS used by anyone. Secondly, I doubt that Marvin Gaye himself would be bothered with a lawsuit because he understood the nature of music. Third, someone mentioned sampling as in Vanilla Ice. The members of Queen and David Bowie must have either given permission to lift a line from Under Pressure, OR they didn't care to bother with a lawsuit. There are many, many rap songs that have lifted a riff or actually taken a whole chorus from an actual song to use in their music. The most recent that I can think of is Flo Rida's use of an Etta James riff. I don't remember any lawsuit and this was her actual voice being used, not some nebulous reference to notes or drum lines that are sort of similar.

Contributor

Another bad jury decision, IMO.

Honored Contributor

On 3/11/2015 HHC1 said:

I TA! Couldn't have said it better myself. So many of today's song sound so similar.The family strikes me as being greedy and looking to "cash in"...Wonder of ANY of the family members have a J-O-B. {#emotions_dlg.mellow}

Ahhh.....his daughter, Nona (represented @ the trial) is an ESTABLISHED actress, model & singer.

Honored Contributor

I've heard about a half dozen discussions today on various talk shows. Not one thought the jury made the wrong decision. The closest to vindication I heard was the similarities were unintentional.