Honored Contributor

Re: Reminder: Grocery store thief & women's open purses

I at times have my purse in the cart, but I put all the light weight, crinkly sounding items piled high on my purse. Bread, ships, candy etc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

Local tv showed an elderly lady going into Walmart, a couple thugs came out, one snatched her purse off her shoulder, she was knocked out, broke her clavicle and a head injury.. another dude just walked by and left her lay there. and the buggy thing, it's amazing how many stupid women have the nerve to complain someone stole their purse or it's contents while they left it opened in the seat. We see it all the time in the store.. what the heck?

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Esteemed Contributor

I was in an upscale neighborhood in the produce section of a market. A woman in a motorized chair had her purse in front of her as the basket was there. A very nicely dressed man walked up alongside her, smiled, grabbed her purse and ran out the doors. He got into a pricey sports car and drove off. These kind of guys target females because they know we shop and price compare etc, and we aren't always watching our handbags.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

I am always surprised when I hear about these thefts. Every time I see a purse in a cart at the grocery store, I want to ask the owner if they're new on this planet. People who leave their bags exposed like that are just asking for trouble. I'll bet store security really loves them for it, too.

Frequent Contributor

I shop at that store and always put my pocketbook in the top of my cart but always make sure that the strap is wrapped around my hand and the zipper is closed.

Esteemed Contributor

The grocery cart theft stories have been around for years. I can't believe that folks are still careless about it. I see ladies leaving their purses in the baby seat all the time while they walk away to look at something 10-20 feet away.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

I tell women every time I see them being SO careless. They usually thank me and nod their heads and say, "Oh, I should know better. Thanks".

Honored Contributor

I was at the Dollar General store in our local town. When I pulled in there was an older couple just leaving. She thought her husband had her handbag and he thought that she got it. They left it in the cart.

I took the handbag in the store and made the clerk open it with me. The lady had just cashed her SS check. There was $1000.00 in her handbag. I waited till the clerk was able to get the woman on the phone to come back to the store.

Another time at our grocery store, a woman left her handbag in the cart. A ten-year-old girl saw it right after I did and told her Dad. He told his daughter that they would take it inside and tell someone to call the woman.

Honored Contributor

One other thing, if you are shopping with coupons, have them in an envelope and not in your handbag. I see woman opening their handbags, looking at their coupons and leaving their handbag open while they check things out.

Honored Contributor

Many yrs ago, I saw a program showcasing a 'robber turned police advisor'. He was a former pickpocket.

The show filmed him going into a grocery store waiting for an open purse. When the lady turned around, he would walk by....and place a small card in her open purse. That card basically said "if I have full access to place this card within your purse, I could've taken your wallet." Of course the manager of the store, as well as the film crew, would approach her before she left & talk w/ them before/after they discovered the card to drive home the point of not leaving a purse unattended...even if it's tied down in the baby seat. Zippers can be opened in a nano-second.