Respected Contributor

Re: Reaction to WalMart increasing sales of American Made items?

I wish the Q would bring back the 50-50 tours. that was a great segment and I thought it was wonderful that they showcased American products in all 50 states.

I still have a few of those items - some of them were just lovely - like a hand made puzzle box in the shape of a crescent moon

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Honored Contributor

On 2/9/2014 biancardi said:

I wish the Q would bring back the 50-50 tours. that was a great segment and I thought it was wonderful that they showcased American products in all 50 states.

I still have a few of those items - some of them were just lovely - like a hand made puzzle box in the shape of a crescent moon

Me too B, wasn't it great? Loved all of the hosts and always looked forward to each state.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Super Contributor

On 2/9/2014 JaneMarple said:

Me too B, wasn't it great? Loved all of the hosts and always looked forward to each state.

There were quite a few items I bought from several states. On one show, I even got to speak with Kathy Levine. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Respected Contributor

On 2/9/2014 mgm2 said:
On 2/9/2014 JaneMarple said:

There were quite a few items I bought from several states. On one show, I even got to speak with Kathy Levine. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I miss those shows Smiley Sad I loved getting unique pieces from the craftsmen (or women Smiley Happy ) from those shows.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Super Contributor

O/T

A few weeks ago I watched a ""Shark tank"" episode with a women who made cute baby shoes. Each pair was about $60.00 each but I forgot how much it was to make each pair. She wanted their help with funding and finding a company in China to make the shoes. She complained she couldn't keep up with demand. She got a deal with one of them.

She left a bad taste in my mouth because she didn't think there were companies and seamstresses HERE to do the same work? Maybe it's because she doesn't want tp pay people here but get people demanding far less pay.

Honored Contributor

Lots of ladies around here (years ago) were seamstresses for department stores, private companies, clothing manufacturing, etc., etc. They seemed happy to be doing what they enjoyed. Sewing, altering, etc. As I recall, Home Economics classes were rather relaxing.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

American products or not due to the treatment of their employees I wont walk in a Walmart EVER. They are disgusting. Plus we live in the country and our nearest walmart is 30 minutes or so away near the city and its ghetto.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

On 2/9/2014 Shorty2U said:

American products or not due to the treatment of their employees I wont walk in a Walmart EVER. They are disgusting. Plus we live in the country and our nearest walmart is 30 minutes or so away near the city and its ghetto.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

On 2/9/2014 terrier3 said:
On 2/9/2014 SydneyH said:
On 2/9/2014 Lila Belle said:

What's wrong with a business treating their employees right ?

I don't know why you are asking me that silly question. I'm only annoyed with the implication that people that shop at Walmart are tools or are too dumb to shop elsewhere...............

I don't shop there because I don't like them expecting us to subsidize their workers' pay.

They get richer on their corporate welfare...they play us like chumps.

I guess you don't eat at restaurants either? Now THAT is subsidizing their employees for sure...unless, of course, you don't tip. Same with your hairdresser and most any other person in the service industry.

Respected Contributor

Nice attempt at rationalization. False equivalency.