Respected Contributor

Do you have to say it TO someone,  or can you just say it aloud when you wake up?

Honored Contributor

@Travone wrote:

Do you have to say it TO someone,  or can you just say it aloud when you wake up?

@Travone  - I live alone. I say it out loud as soon as I wake up. 

And then I text my sister, her 3 kids and 2 of my cousins and we all text it back and forth to each other in a group text.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

Thank you 

Trusted Contributor

Rabbit Rabbit, yes I say it the first of every month!  

Trusted Contributor

@gidgetgh YES!

I've said "RABBIT! RABBIT!" immediately upon wakening each morning on the first day of every month since my sixth grade teacher told us about this!

Solar

Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Where did rabbit rabbit come from?

According to the Farmers’ Almanac, the phrase goes back to at least 1909, when a British periodical featured a girl who said “Rabbits!” on the first day of each month for good luck.

President Roosevelt also reportedly rabbited every month without fail. In 1935, The Nottingham Evening Post wrote: “Even Mr. Roosevelt, the President of the United States, has confessed to a friend that he says ‘Rabbits’ on the first of every month—and, what is more, he would not think of omitting the utterance on any account.

Honored Contributor

It sounds like you can say it to yourself if no one else is around.

Respected Contributor

Like many others have said I have never heard of that !

Honored Contributor

@PinkyPetunia wrote:

Never heard of this, have never done it.  I am not superstitious. 

@PinkyPetunia 

Same here.

Honored Contributor

Wow! I didn't know anyone else knew about this! I've been doing this since I was a little girl and my grandmother taught me, except we actually hopped- twice on one foot and twice on the other- while we say it, as soon as we get out of bed in the morning. I always say it to myself. Luckily, DH is usually up and gone! If he IS there I say it softly and he sleeps through it. 

I have done it since. I don't remember my mom doing it, and DH thinks I'm crazy. My children wouldn't even do it when they were little! 

@granddi - I never knew the history. I wish I could ask my grandmother why she did it. 

IDK - I've just done it forever, even at college and overseas. If nothing else, I remember my grandmother and how she taught me when I was a little girl.   Smiley Happy