Trusted Contributor

Question for My Fellow Jewish Friends

I need some advice. I've had a lot happening in the last year. I lost my Dad to cancer and lost my job of 18 years a few weeks ago. To say the least, I'm depressed and worried a lot. I have only temporary health insurance right now since COBRA is so expensive. Because of the insurance issue, I can't go see any therapists to help me talk through my issues right now.

I don't belong to a synagogue and although I got to talk to a rabbi after my Dad passed, it was only a courtesy meeting. Since I'm not a member of the shul, I can't go see him repeatedly for assistance.

While I had insurance, I found a few therapists who kept trying to guide me by using Christian scripture and telling me to read the Bible. I was very surprised that a therapist on a regular insurance plan would bring religion into their therapy sessions. I left a few for that very reason, surprised that so many operated in that fashion. I don't think general therapy you seek through insurance should bring any religion into the sessions.

There is a Jewish Family Services here, but they have restrictions according to your financial needs. I am just so nervous not having anyone professional to talk to and worry about my fears of moving forward and what lies ahead. I sort of feel paralyzed by fear right now, afraid of making wrong decisions. I haven't had to look for work in so long, it scares me to death.

I just wondered if any one has any suggestions about what to do in this situation. It's really a shame in this world when you're in need of guidance and your insurance doesn't cover behavioral health situations that you have no place to turn. It's also a shame when a rabbi would not be open to talk to a member of the faith who is need of guidance, even if I am not a paying member.

Thank you for your time and any thoughts you may have to assist me.

Respected Contributor

Re: Question for My Fellow Jewish Friends

I would sign up at Jewish Family Services and ask for a Jewish therapist. They will charge what you can afford. If you wish to talk to a rabbi, call local temples and ask if a rabbi will see you for free.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks KarenQVC...

I have called various temples but I can only talk to the rabbi once. That's the one thing I don't like about synagogues, at least in my area. You have to pay to join one and they only have time for members. I can't even go to high holiday services because it's so darn expensive.

Respected Contributor

That is too bad about the rabbi. There may be a rabbi school nearby that offers sessions with rabbinical students. In any event, the Jewish Family Services should be of help. Make your wishes known in the initial phone call, because not all the therapists there are Jewish.

Respected Contributor

Please call Jewish family service and explain your situation and how you are in need of help.I think they will be able to work with you. Explain that you are grieving and that you have lost your job of many years and are in need of guidance.

Also if you live near a college community you can attend services at their Hillel chapter. NO CHARGE. We go to High Holy Day Services at Hillel at the University here. We love being with the students and professors.

Daring did you see Sunny's new post about Chanukah memories etc? It is, on a lighter note, a way to have a bit of community here on the boards.

Trusted Contributor

My condolences on the loss of your father and the issues you are facing. I agree with the others regarding contacting Jewish Family Services.

Another possible resource, if there is no Hillel nearby would be looking into a local chapter of Chabad. While I may have theological differences with them, they generally are helpful and may be able to provide guidance or counseling.

Respected Contributor

I agree with most of the other posters. Jewish Family Services usually has a sliding scale fee. And while Chabad is highly Orthodox, they accept most everyone and approach the faith with a joy that is infectious. The last suggestion is to continue to search for a secular therapist who will not bring up religion and make your wishes known at the very beginning of your therapudic relationship.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

On 12/15/2014 DARING GREATLY said:

While I had insurance, I found a few therapists who kept trying to guide me by using Christian scripture and telling me to read the Bible. I was very surprised that a therapist on a regular insurance plan would bring religion into their therapy sessions. I left a few for that very reason, surprised that so many operated in that fashion. I don't think general therapy you seek through insurance should bring any religion into the sessions.

I find it extremely hard to believe that a regular therapist/counselor would bring religion/Christianity/the Bible into a session.
That is unheard of.
Do you have Jewish friends you could speak with? An older, sympathetic person with common sense can probably meet your needs.
Is there a synagogue near you that you can join?
Trusted Contributor

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your caring and good suggestions.

Honored Contributor

We have Assoc. Jewish Charities in our area, they may be able to help you.