Respected Contributor

QVC Advertising "Over 50 and Fabulous" on Local Radio

[ Edited ]

Yesterday driving home from grocery shopping, I had my car radio on listening to a local station.  It was either a NJ or a NYC station, as I listen to both.  The station broke for pre-recorded commercials, and Rachel B., one of QVC's hosts, started the commercial by introducing herself as a host on QVC and then continued to promote QVC's "Over 50 and Fabulous."   

I must say, I was taken aback as this was the first time I've heard QVC advertising on radio.   Anyone else hear the advertising commercial as well?   

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

Re: QVC Advertising "Over 50 and Fabulous" on Local Radio

I haven't heard it on the radio but I probably would have laughed. It's just another generic titled show that can show the same old, same old, products.

Trusted Contributor

They are spending A LOT of money promoting this.  Or should I say customers will be paying for it via higher prices?

Honored Contributor

They have a huge billboard hanging inside the Las Vegas airport.  So everyone can see it as they get off the planes or waiting for their flights.  

Honored Contributor

Another gimmick to sell the same old boring products with obnoxious hosts and guests.  I don't know who they're fooling 

Regular Contributor

The Q is going all out on this advertising campaign.
Not sure they will get a good ROI
Honored Contributor

I don't listen to local radio but it doesn't surprise me.  Surely you know about QVC's struggles.  So it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that they are reaching out and defining the Qvc experience in new ways because the old way doesn't work anymore. 

Respected Contributor

Time will tell if it increases sales, we'll see.

Valued Contributor

I was thinking the same thing.  How is this campaign going to change anything for the customer?  I mean they are still selling the same merch for higher prices.

And of course they are spending a fortune on everything and expecting the customers to pay for it.  They hire people that are way over qualified for what they do.  Former actresses, weather girls, people dabbling in journalism who didn't make it.  These are big salaries.

The sets are unnecessary decorated.  And now these campaign/promos, you'd think they invented something.  But it's still QVC, selling average stuff for crazy high prices.

Used to be when I was a kid I'd hear them saying they didn't spend money on fancy lobby decor and paper adverts, and what not, so they passed the savings on to you.  But now they are doing the polar opposite.  Spending money on everything and passing the expenses on the customer.       

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.

-Rumi
Super Contributor

I think that instead of celebrities they should have used QVC shoppers for the Over 50 and fabulous campaign.  I have not desire to watch these "celebrities" or Mally.