Super Contributor

I purchased a $500.00 diamond ring from a seller on Ebay last month. It was new with tag attached. Well, I removed the tag and started wearing it, but, it seemed a bit big on me. I put it up for fear I would lose it if I continued to wear it and sort of forgot about it for a couple of weeks. Got it out the other day and decided to take it to a jeweler to be sized down. While there, I just asked him if the diamonds were for sure real and that they were H in color and SI in clarity as it had been described. Well, turns out, it is real, but color is J/K and size is off by 1/2. I said forget about resizing, I am returning this ring. Seller had a 30 day return policy and no other stipulations. Well, it was 2 days past the 30 days since I had received the ring, but, I knew that Ebay used to allow 45 day return if item was not as described. I asked for a return and seller approved the return. It then took me to the next step of printing a return label. So, I did and then left to take it to the post office. When I returned from the P. O., I had a new message from seller asking if ring still had tag and unworn because he needed to know how to relist the item. I explained that I had removed the tag and the situation and that ring was still in it's original condition. So, then, about 2 hours later I get another message from seller that items not in their original condition were not returnable. He would not accept the return. He also says, I see that you have just now printed the return label and his message had a time of 2:17pm on it. I printed my return at 8:23 am. this morning. Also, if I want to get technical, his return policy does not state that item must be in original condition. I could understand if I had banged it up and removed some diamonds, but ring is just like it was when I received it. Well, he opens a case with Ebay and they side with him, closing the case and telling me not to return the item. Well, I called Ebay and told them I had already returned the item. They say, I will just have to work it out with the seller. I am way beyond furious!!  

Deep In The Heart of Texas
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Problem With Ebay Return

[ Edited ]

Can the jeweler put in writing that the diamond was a different grade than described- and that the sizing was off?  That might get ebay to review the situation  again.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you used PayPal to make your purchase, then I believe you can open a case with them. PayPal will refund you all the money, including *the shipping charges, if there was a problem with your purchase. To do this go to your PP account and view the appropriate transaction. Once you have located it, you should see a link where you can access initiating the return process. Good luck.

@moon_gazer

Since the 30-return period has passed since you made the purchase, I think there may be a problem getting your money back, but I would still attempt what I outlined above.

*Unfortunately it's for shipping refunds only and not for purchase price.

Honored Contributor

In regard to size ...different mandrels are often slightly different when a jeweler sizes a ring. A size 6 may be a half size larger using a different mandrel. It depends on the manufacturer of the mandrel. 

As far as the K color...it is near impossible or at least difficult to grade diamonds already in a setting. It well may be H color diamonds. A lot of private jewelers do not have their GIA training and guesstimate color and clarity. Also the mounting may throw some color into the piece and make it appear more yellow.

Good luck.. I hope you can resolve this quickly.

Honored Contributor

@moon_gazer  Wow....so sorry. What a disappointment.  ☹️

Valued Contributor

PayPal has a longer time to open a case. Please get a letter from the jeweler you took the ring to. 

PayPal will need to have that. Hope this helps.

Esteemed Contributor

I understand your grief.  I would doubt very much even if your jeweler made a house visit to this seller if you could get any help.  I once trusted everyone, now I can only say I have chosen only a few places that I can buy from.  QVC is one of them as is another shopping channel (South one).  I buy from catalogues where I get good help and customer service and stand by their products. But it is a learning curve.. A nd only after WE are mistreated. ignored, taken do we finally just be more careful.  I could go on and on because I have been the victim as well--- the latest fun and games was just a week ago.  Amazon would have helped you... but EBAY not so anymore in my  honest opinion.

Respected Contributor

Doesn't matter if ebay used to have a 45 day return window. That changed several years ago and you now have 30 days after actual receipt of the item. While I understand you're furious, ebay isn't about to help you since it was 2 days past their deadline. If they did it for you, they'd have to do it for everyone else.

However, if you have the tracking number, try using PayPal instead since they give you 180 days after purchase. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

IF the ring only cost $500 I am assuming that the diamonds are very, very tiny.  IT is very difficult to correctly grade diamonds that small and not unusual for two appraisers to disagree on the correct assignment of color in diamonds that small.    Grading color is not a 100% exact science.  IS your jeweler a certified jewelry appraiser?    DOes he have the necessary certification from the GIA?  Is he willing to,document his appraisal in writing and provide his professional credentials?   IF so then you might be able to provide that written documentation to the seller to make your case.  OTherwise it is just his opinion and not really proof.

Valued Contributor

Since you were willing to spend the money to buy the ring, I think you were pleased when you received it but then the problem was it needed to be sized? I wonder if you would still be pleased if you hadn't asked the jeweler re: the diamonds, class etc. Did you think the ring looked tacky? If you don't get the issue resolved with the seller, I would just get the ring sized and wear it. They are real diamonds and seriously, who knows or can tell the drifference between J/K or H in color looking with the naked eye.

Probably not a good idea to buy expensive jewelry through ebay or at least adhere to the 30 day return policy.