Honored Contributor

Re: Prince William Getting Flak For Skiing And Missing Ceremony

It is sort of a fairy tale, living in castles, buying anything you want, going to many places, but they have had their troubles, i like reading about past kings and queens,their familes, there has been some really wild people.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

The whole ROYAL experience is for tourists' expendable income.  The Prime Minister & Parliment really run the show.  

I watched a documentary and saw the 90-year-old Queen measuring the distance between the chairs and table for a "state dinner."   Wow, what a waste of time, and taxpayers' money.

I feel sorry for Prince William--he deserves better.

Honored Contributor

@seaBreeze wrote:

You feel sorry for the future King and feel he deserves better?

He lives in the lap of luxury.  He will never have to worry about how he will support his family.  He appears at public events, supports charities, and schmoozes with the beautiful people.  It really isn't a bad gig.

Honored Contributor

@seaBreeze wrote:

The whole ROYAL experience is for tourists' expendable income.  The Prime Minister & Parliment really run the show.  

I watched a documentary and saw the 90-year-old Queen measuring the distance between the chairs and table for a "state dinner."   Wow, what a waste of time, and taxpayers' money.

@seaBreeze

The family brings in more money than taxpayers pay into their upkeep.

She has an eye for detail.  Surely you know America also has state dinners which the taxpayers pay for.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

I admire the Queen immensely. I think she is the best of the world leaders. She has been a shining example of kindness and dignity to the rest of the world

@cherry

Ever heard of Parliament?    Elizabeth isn't a "world leader", she's a figure head.   She doesn't make the laws.

@Tinkrbl44

Queen Elizabeth is referred to by many as a world leader, including the BBC and PBS.

Regular Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

@seaBreeze wrote:

You feel sorry for the future King and feel he deserves better?

He lives in the lap of luxury.  He will never have to worry about how he will support his family.  He appears at public events, supports charities, and schmoozes with the beautiful people.  It really isn't a bad gig.

@lulu2

William's mother died tragically--his grandmother is 90, his dad is (well, I won't say those types of words); his step mom is (again, cannot say anything nice).   He's living in a 'fish bowl' being judged on everything he does.  Money and privilege does not buy happiness--but you wouldn't know about such things.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

WHAT IS THE QUEEN'S ROLE?

Head of State

As Head of State, the Queen goes on official State visits abroad. She also invites other world leaders to come to the United Kingdom. During their visit, Heads of State usually stay at Buckingham Palace, or sometimes at Windsor Castle or Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh.

Head of the Armed Forces

The Queen is also the Head of the Armed Forces. She is the only person who can declare when the country is at war and when war is over, although she must take advice from her government first.

Head of the Church of England

The Queen is Head of the Church of England - a position that all British monarchs have held since it was founded by Henry VIII in the 1530s.

The Queen appoints archbishops and bishops on the advice of the Prime Minister.

The spiritual leader of the Church of England is the Archbishop of Canterbury.

Government Duties

Every day 'red boxes' are delivered to the Queen's desk full of documents and reports from the government ministers and Commonwealth officials. They must all be read and, if necessary, signed by the Queen.

Represents the Nation

The Queen represents the nation at times of great celebration or sorrow. One example of this is Remembrance Day ceremony at the Cenotaph monument in Whitehall. The Queen lays a wreath there each year to honour the members of the armed forces who have died fighting for their country.

Royal Garden Parties

At least three Royal Garden Parties are held at Buckingham Palace each year and about 8,000 guests attend each one.

Visits

Alongside her other duties the Queen spends a huge amount of time travelling around the country visiting hospitals, schools, factories and other places and organisations.

http://www.projectbritain.com/royal/role.htm

Regular Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@seaBreeze wrote:

@seaBreeze

She has an eye for detail.  Surely you know America also has state dinners which the taxpayers pay for.

@Noel7     Does our President take measurements before state dinners?  I think you are missing the whole point.  At least in our government, our president actually "does" set policies, etc.   The queen drinks high tea and eats crumpets.   

Honored Contributor

@cottageHill wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@seaBreeze wrote:

@seaBreeze

@Noel7     Does our President take measurements before state dinners?  I think you are missing the whole point.  At least in our government, our president actually "does" set policies, etc.   The queen drinks high tea and eats crumpets.   

@giraffe77

You might want to read the post titled The Queen's Role.  You're missing a lot.

And no, I didn't miss a thing.  I did find it interesting that someone was unhappy about State Dinners when we have them often.

Honored Contributor

You have to take what is in the news with a grain of salt.  Especially the news generated in this country regarding the Royals.  There is rarely anything written that is complimentary.  It would make my British Mother furious when she read the news regarding the Queen and the Royals. Granted, there has been enough bonafide negative news over the years to report upon, but good grief....  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*