Honored Contributor

Re: Prince William Getting Flak For Skiing And Missing Ceremony

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

@Pearlee No reason to feel sad for me. 😄

I realize that this is just my opinion and many others feel differently. Just an FYI - I feel the same way about most ornate, expensive church buildings (some religions in particular). I think spending money on royalty, cathedrals, etc. is reflective of shallow, superficial values. I'd rather see the money put to good use to actually help people and animals. Again, this is just my opinion. 😀

@Goldengate8361

We can do both. 

Art in religion has always been important, in all of the major religions.  Artists like to express their spiritual feelings, many works of art were donated because of that.

My church has exquisite stained glass windows, donated by wealthy art patrons who also give generously to those in need.

We are not required to worship in hovels.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

BTW, just for interest's sake, I read an article a week or so ago about ISIS destroying antiquities, early religious artifacts.

Very sad, one wonders about the minds that can only conceive of destruction. 

However... when one site was cleared of their evil destruction, lo and behold... another beneath it was discovered.  Older, close to 3,000 or so years ago.  Now it is a race to uncover and save the remnants of that early structure, which btw was covered in art work.

Honored Contributor

I for one think a world without beautiful Churches, Cathedrals ,and Palaces would be a poorer one indeed. MY faith operates the largest charity in the world called Caritas

“If thou of fortune be bereft,
and in thy store there be but left
two loaves, sell one, and with the
dole, buy hyacinths to feed thy soul.”

Esteemed Contributor

I think it would be a very dull, unhappy and boring world if there were not a variety of everything....royalty, art, beautiful historical places and artifacts...zoos, oceans, mountains...as well as helping humanity and animal.   We should keep and preserve a link to the past as well as to the present and, of course, the future no matter what country we live in.

Frequent Contributor

I read a lot of english papers.  The queen is the most popular among the british people.

Next is Harry.  Wiliam and Kate are not that well liked.  Like someone posted...that the british people view William and Kate as lazy.  Kate's Mother is unpopular also.

She is seen as a social climber.  Her nickname in Britian is Mrs. Buckette.

Honored Contributor

He can barely string two words together, why is the Brit press zeroing on him lately?

Frequent Contributor

Well, if I may play devils advocate..William is no longer a 'boy'. He is a grown man with a wife, children and responsibilities. He has had a lifetime of knowing that cameras are everywhere. If it were my husband on the front pages...drinking, dancing and having a wonderful time with other women...I would be livid. He knew what he was doing and did it anyway.
Honored Contributor

Wow crystletree sure doesn't like them, So much history there in england,the english enjoy having them, i feel kate and william are the best of them.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I admire the Queen immensely. I think she is the best of the world leaders. She has been a shining example of kindness and dignity to the rest of the world

@cherry

Ever heard of Parliament?    Elizabeth isn't a "world leader", she's a figure head.   She doesn't make the laws.

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

@Noel7 I'm sure it does bring in millions (as I said, it's a tourist attraction, etc.). However, one would need to look at it from a true "balance sheet" perspective, which would consider the enormous cost associated with their royalty gig--compared to revenues that results. I'm totally not convinced that it produces "positive cash flow." I know that there are many people that enjoy it for their own personal reasons. I think it's just silly, semi-offensive, and a transparent PR gig.

@Goldengate8361

Many see them as nothing more than glorified ribbon cutters, but if the Brits are willing to pay for them to live this lavish and lazy lifestyle, well, it's their money.