Honored Contributor

Re: Prince William Getting Flak For Skiing And Missing Ceremony

I admire the Queen immensely. I think she is the best of the world leaders. She has been a shining example of kindness and dignity to the rest of the world

Respected Contributor

Personally I have never understood the fascination with those "bluebloods".  If we all had the bevy of help they had along with the vast money of wealth, we could all live this unrealistic lifestyle.

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

Personally I have never understood the fascination with those "bluebloods".  If we all had the bevy of help they had along with the vast money of wealth, we could all live this unrealistic lifestyle.

We have some who live like that, also.  All gold, like a palace.

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 I'm sure it does bring in millions (as I said, it's a tourist attraction, etc.). However, one would need to look at it from a true "balance sheet" perspective, which would consider the enormous cost associated with their royalty gig--compared to revenues that results. I'm totally not convinced that it produces "positive cash flow." I know that there are many people that enjoy it for their own personal reasons. I think it's just silly, semi-offensive, and a transparent PR gig.

Esteemed Contributor

If the majority of the English people wanted the Royal family gone, they would be gone. They bring money and other benefits to their country. At this point I am sure all the Royals have learned to ignore what "they" have to say. I like Will, Kate and Harry. I think they have done a lot of good. Yes I know there have been some youthful mis steps but that seems to be behind them. Much ado about nothing IMO.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

Considering each taxpayer only pays 56 pence, toward the Queens  upkeep, I would say they taxpayers are getting  a lot of value for their money.  I think that's about 75 cents in our money

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/cost-of-royal-family-rises-twice-as-fast-as-inflation-...

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

@Noel7 I'm sure it does bring in millions (as I said, it's a tourist attraction, etc.). However, one would need to look at it from a true "balance sheet" perspective, which would consider the enormous cost associated with their royalty gig--compared to revenues that results. I'm totally not convinced that it produces "positive cash flow." I know that there are many people that enjoy it for their own personal reasons. I think it's just silly, semi-offensive, and a transparent PR gig.

@Goldengate8361

That's my point, they bring in more than they cost, the documentation was provided about a year ago.

You must know, we have millions outgoing from here, every weekend for travel and every day for additional security coverage elsewhere.  We need to look to our own issues.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

@Goldengate8361  How very sad that the historical aspect of the royal family holds no value to you.  What a shame.

Esteemed Contributor

Very interesting thread.  I like the Royal Family.  But, being an American.....I don't really think our opinion should matter.  England is NOT our country, what they do is their business.  Just like what we do here is none of theirs.  

If they want royalty or if they do not, that is entirely up to them, not us.  But, like I said, I like the Royal Family and with years of tradition....it would be ashame if it ever went away.  That's my opinion. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee No reason to feel sad for me. 😄

I realize that this is just my opinion and many others feel differently. Just an FYI - I feel the same way about most ornate, expensive church buildings (some religions in particular). I think spending money on royalty, cathedrals, etc. is reflective of shallow, superficial values. I'd rather see the money put to good use to actually help people and animals. Again, this is just my opinion. 😀