Respected Contributor

Re: People today amaze me.

[ Edited ]

@Stellabystarlight wrote:

One of the girls in my niece's office called in sick for a week, and another office colleague noticed her working in an office a few blocks away.  Evidently, she signed up at a temporary agency and figured she would get her salary from being sick, and make another week's salary as a temp!  There are always connivers out there!

My post is Off topic to the original post:

Yep, stuff like that has been happening for ages.  We had an employee who's second job was a bartender, sometimes for private functions.  She worked shifts for us.  Several times when she had a function scheduled, she called off sick.  Then there was the employee who got an ankle injury while playing softball, came into work and while no was around claimed she tripped over a piece of equipment and went on workmens' comp.  While out on comp she was seen out one night dancing up a storm.

Esteemed Contributor

@Stray wrote:

@Maudelynn wrote:

@libbyannE wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

So that employee will be out out a paycheck for a month+, yikes.  

Fair's fair. What she did is wrong and thoughtless. She did not behave ethically.

Can you please explain exactly what she did that was wrong, thoughtless and unethical? I'm curious as to what part of giving 2 weeks notice is an issue?

@Maudelynn- I think accepting  the position, knowing you applied for another and the chance exists that you are leaving is not ethical.  The woman had no experience so why should a firm invest time and money in her.  Wait and see which firm calls you back and then, make your decision.  Don't waste people's time.

When people are looking for jobs, typically they apply at more than one place.  That's what I've done.  When in need of a job, I take the first one that calls me.  I think many people would do this IF they NEED a job.  A lot of the times, it might not be the one you want, but you take it.  You have bills, need to keep a roof of your head and so on.

This woman had only been working one week when another employer that was interested in her decided to give her a shot.  What is wrong about that?  Not a thing.  There is nothing unethical about having to do what is best for yourself in job situations.

I'm amazed that so many would think an employer deserves more consideration than the worker.  Where would either be without each other?

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@bri20 wrote:

She didn't do anything wrong by accepting another job.

The only thing she did wrong was assume her employer was going to keep her on until the other job started.  At least she told them she accepted another job instead of not showing up for work.

@bri20, even her indignation that the employer wouldn't keep her until she left isn't wrong.  It's just a reaction.

Yes it was just a reaction and based on her work inexperience but I bet she remembers this for a long time and adjusts accordingly.  Nothing wrong whatsoever with her taking the other job and giving a 2 week notice.  Most places will tell the employee to go ahead and leave....  it's just business.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

I remember a time when people were hired for life...trained, nutured, given raises and benefits based on their job performance.

Those days are over.

Employers think nothing of cutting employees' pay...the larger the company, the worse it is.

I have written many times about my job at a major cable company preparing themselves for sale. They didn't tell anyone of their plans, but decided to "cut to the bone" to lower expenses and make themselves more sellable. We received one week notice that our commission was being cut from 8% to 5% of sales. Our jobs were 100% commission.

So -If someone billed 100K for the company in a month, they expected an 8K paycheck from the previous month's commission and instead got one for 5K - a $3,000 hole - with ONE WEEK's notice. Take it or leave it. Over the course of 6 months, 10 of my fellow workers (out of 12) left.

Meanwhile, the company has been sold and our former VP of sales received a 13 MILLION dollar severance package - for cutting expenses! The CEO got over 80 million.

I totally understand why Millenials don't have loyalty to their employers the way their parents and grandparents did.

It's every person for themselves.

@terrier3- the sad part is that corporations don't offer lifetime employment any longer.  Most pensions are discontinued and the longer you stay at a company, the more expensive you are to the employer.   Corporations want a faster turnover....years ago it was all about retention efforts and decreasing employee turnover....careers were 40-50 years at my former company at one time. No more 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: People today amaze me.

[ Edited ]

@Q4u wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@bri20 wrote:

She didn't do anything wrong by accepting another job.

The only thing she did wrong was assume her employer was going to keep her on until the other job started.  At least she told them she accepted another job instead of not showing up for work.

@bri20, even her indignation that the employer wouldn't keep her until she left isn't wrong.  It's just a reaction.

Yes it was just a reaction and based on her work inexperience but I bet she remembers this for a long time and adjusts accordingly.  Nothing wrong whatsoever with her taking the other job and giving a 2 week notice.  Most places will tell the employee to go ahead and leave....  it's just business.

She caused NO harm.  Not to a soul.  We as humans have a right to have "reactions."  Our feelings and beliefs are what causes "reactions."  She was not wrong for hers.  Now, had she swung on her, that would be a different story in my opinion.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

What amazed me was that she was still being trained at my daughter's firm and therefore was contributing absolutely nothing to the firm not to mention the drain on my daughter's time and yet she expected to be allowed to stay on for two weeks and get paid while being trained for a job she was never going to do on her own.  I am not surprised she took the other job but to expect to stay on and get paid for contributing nothing and then get huffy when she was told to leave is what amazes me.

Esteemed Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Stray wrote:

@Maudelynn wrote:

@libbyannE wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

Fair's fair. What she did is wrong and thoughtless. She did not behave ethically.

Can you please explain exactly what she did that was wrong, thoughtless and unethical? I'm curious as to what part of giving 2 weeks notice is an issue?

@Maudelynn- I think accepting  the position, knowing you applied for another and the chance exists that you are leaving is not ethical.  The woman had no experience so why should a firm invest time and money in her.  Wait and see which firm calls you back and then, make your decision.  Don't waste people's time.

When people are looking for jobs, typically they apply at more than one place.  That's what I've done.  When in need of a job, I take the first one that calls me.  I think many people would do this IF they NEED a job.  A lot of the times, it might not be the one you want, but you take it.  You have bills, need to keep a roof of your head and so on.

This woman had only been working one week when another employer that was interested in her decided to give her a shot.  What is wrong about that?  Not a thing.  There is nothing unethical about having to do what is best for yourself in job situations.

I'm amazed that so many would think an employer deserves more consideration than the worker.  Where would either be without each other?

@itiswhatitis- I don't think an employer deserves more consideration than a worker but I would just not accept a job if I knew another firm would call me shortly.  Usually, you get a time frame at an interview.  I don't know the young lady's circumstance but I feel it was unfair to the trainer.  Unethical, I guess might be a stretch, as she broke no law...maybe just thoughtless. 

Esteemed Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

What amazed me was that she was still being trained at my daughter's firm and therefore was contributing absolutely nothing to the firm not to mention the drain on my daughter's time and yet she expected to be allowed to stay on for two weeks and get paid while being trained for a job she was never going to do on her own.  I am not surprised she took the other job but to expect to stay on and get paid for contributing nothing and then get huffy when she was told to leave is what amazes me.

Wouldn't this be the case, if say for instance and unfortunate event happened?  Like a death?  What would the employer do?

I feel absolutely no how for the employer because when they are looking for staff they look through hundreds of applicants.  They narrow down and call the ones they believe are best suited for the job.

No worries.....that position will be filled in no time flat.  Your daughter will be back to her training responsibilities.  Perhaps your daughter might look into a career where she doesn't need to train people.  It's part of business.  People come and go.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@Stray wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Stray wrote:

@Maudelynn wrote:

@libbyannE wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

@itiswhatitis- I don't think an employer deserves more consideration than a worker but I would just not accept a job if I knew another firm would call me shortly.  Usually, you get a time frame at an interview.  I don't know the young lady's circumstance but I feel it was unfair to the trainer.  Unethical, I guess might be a stretch, as she broke no law...maybe just thoughtless. 

How could she "KNOW" another firm was going to call her?  If she knew this, do you think she would have spent her time training for nothing?  Why do you assume she "knew" she'd get a new call from a different employer?

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@Stray wrote:

@terrier3- the sad part is that corporations don't offer lifetime employment any longer.  Most pensions are discontinued and the longer you stay at a company, the more expensive you are to the employer.   Corporations want a faster turnover....years ago it was all about retention efforts and decreasing employee turnover....careers were 40-50 years at my former company at one time. No more 

ITA!

My father was a banker. That used to be a lifetime job - VERY few people jumped from one bank to another...it was almost considered treason!

Then the local owners sold the bank to a Hong Kong company - thousands lost their local jobs. They posted security guards at the windows, people were so distraught.

My father was high enough on the food chain to get a large golden parachute. He started investing in property and became an independent consultant. He said that he would NEVER work for a large corporation again. That was the 80s.