Esteemed Contributor

Re: People stopping anywhere they please to look at their cell phones: A cautionary story

@Marp wrote:

@patbz wrote:

My pet peeve is idiot drivers and their cellphones (I see it all the time).  In AZ, where I live, a no cellphones while driving law is under consideration; Gov. Ducey has already said he'll sign it.  

@patbz, I read earlier today that the bill passed by a wide margin and has been sent to the Governor for signature.

Yea but it won’t take effect until 2021. Why so long?

Respected Contributor

Re: People stopping anywhere they please to look at their cell phones: A cautionary story

Last week I was backing out of a parking space and a guy walking just stopped behind my car to answer his phone.  And stood there. 

Honored Contributor

Phones and escalators don't mix.

Honored Contributor

I  know better to stop on an escalator, I'm scared to death of them.    But I do use them, I prefer an elevator.   And yes, I've been stuck on an elevator.

But I'm guilty of stopping to look at my phone in the grocery store because I keep  my shopping list on an App on my phone.    I know people look at me like I'm reading a text or playing Candy Crush but no, it's my list.

Sorry!

Trusted Contributor

@software wrote:

I  know better to stop on an escalator, I'm scared to death of them.    But I do use them, I prefer an elevator.   And yes, I've been stuck on an elevator.

But I'm guilty of stopping to look at my phone in the grocery store because I keep  my shopping list on an App on my phone.    I know people look at me like I'm reading a text or playing Candy Crush but no, it's my list.

Sorry!

Yup!  I keep my grocery list on my cell phone too.  

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Super Contributor

A young woman was walking in the middle of the road looking at her phone and had ear buds in. So 3 of her senses were decommissioned.

I gave her a 'beep and she gave me 'the finger'.

Drive and walk at your own peril.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just honestly don't get the appeal... It's like the cell phone zombies are driven to have that phone at their immediate disposal in all places and at all times... I have mine with me whenever I leave the house, but I don't have it out wherever I go unless I'm expecting an important call... Otherwise, whatever it is can wait... I'm frankly grateful there is no one I feel I must text on a momentary basis... Quite frankly, it's both annoying and a bit frightening... I'm sure some people think I'm being rude, I don't care, as far as I'm concerned, they're the rude ones, but it's gotten so when someone's cell phone use unduly impinges on me going about my business, I make my annoyance known in a way that's subtle and non-confrontational but clear.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]
@gellen wrote:

A friend of mine had a potentially scary incident the other day.  A woman in front of her on an escalator stopped suddenly at the top to look at her cell phone.  My friend was behind her by a oouple of escalator steps.  As the women stopped so abruptly, my friend had to speak in a loud voice telling her to move quickly.   Luckily, a potential fall was averted.  I must say I also get aggravated by people stopping in doorways, middle of store aisles, etc. to hunch over their phones; seemingly  oblivious.   This is my latest pet peeve. 

@gellen  

It was lucky you or or your friend did not get punched out for calling out the cell phone user in public.   There are many unstable people out there with hair trigger anger management issues.  Any public scolding could set these idiots off and hurt you.  Better to walk past and avoid unneeded confrontation.

It is just like confronting drivers who are on their cell phone.  Verbal or obscene hand gesture confrontation could cause you to get into road range situation and get you killed.  Not worth it.

Respected Contributor

Drives me absolutely NUTS every single day, everywhere I go. When I am in a grocery store or other retail store and some idiot is standing in the middle of the aisle blabbing on their cell phone, I just say, "EXCUSE ME!!!". They look at me like I have a problem. Rude idiots.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Esteemed Contributor

@EatWell wrote:
@gellen wrote:

A friend of mine had a potentially scary incident the other day.  A woman in front of her on an escalator stopped suddenly at the top to look at her cell phone.  My friend was behind her by a oouple of escalator steps.  As the women stopped so abruptly, my friend had to speak in a loud voice telling her to move quickly.   Luckily, a potential fall was averted.  I must say I also get aggravated by people stopping in doorways, middle of store aisles, etc. to hunch over their phones; seemingly  oblivious.   This is my latest pet peeve. 

@gellen  

It was lucky you or or your friend did not get punched out for calling out the cell phone user in public.   There are many unstable people out there with hair trigger anger management issues.  Any public scolding could set these idiots off and hurt you.  Better to walk past and avoid unneeded confrontation.

It is just like confronting drivers who are on their cell phone.  Verbal or obscene hand gesture confrontation could cause you to get into road range situation and get you killed.  Not worth it.

Don't see the need for the confrontation either.  Worse that would happen is bumping into her.  A "oops didn't see that you had stopped here at the top" would have gotten the message across.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.